Working/Living in South/Central America

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Working/Living in South/Central America

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      kramer

Looking for info on whether difficult to get casual work (eg. teaching english without formal teaching qualification) in South/Central America and either get working visa squared away or doing it “under the table” relatively easily. Top choices would be Chile or Mexico but interested in hearing about other destinations as well.

Plus, what are good places to live in, putting aside the work situation?

Probably for a year or so.

Jefe
      Participant

Hi Kramer.

Chile is an outstanding place, but a long ways from anywhere else!

Panama is a place I would recommend. While I doubt you will have much luck as an english teacher there (too much local competition and english is widely spoken).

And it’s centrally located and forgive me for sounding politically correct (I believe I have proven otherwise on many occassions) ethnically and culturally diverse, which aside from being fascinating, provides leads to other countries etc.

Also, you might check out Poor but Happy.com which is from an english teaching expat in Colombia.

I have 3 realtors doing a property search for me in Panama right now and hope to buy (depends on the deals) on my R&R in February/March.

Good luck.

I rented a house for awhile in Cuernavaca, Mexico (Morelos State) and loved it. I ran into very few English speakers but did find a few that went down there to learn Spanish and started teaching English as a way to make a living. That is a beautiful area, great weather and easy to travel to other places. I’d also look at Oaxaca if I were you. It seemed that the spanish immersion schools were good contacts for meeting people and for connections to places that needed English instructors. try http://www.experiencia.com

Of course, Colombia is the best country but you’ve got to put up with all the problems that place entails and not being able to travel as freely as in Mexico. After awhile in Colombia, I always feel a little claustrophobic–you can’t just get in your car and drive through the countryside whenever you want. Well, I guess you can, but you may end up seeing a lot more of the countryside than you wanted and for a lot longer.

¡Buena Suerte!

Luke

Jefe and Expatriated,

Thanks for the advice and links, etc.

I was tempted by Colombia but my girlfriend was understandably not as enamoured with the idea as me. Would like to visit the place though if I get the chance.

I’m presuming that in s/c america the authorities will probably turn a blind eye to those occupations that their locals have less skills in (eg. english teaching) and not so for other jobs their locals can participate in.

Now I have to get my head around Spanish. Damn these guys seem to speak quickly.

Cheers
      Luke (the bastard formerly known as Kramer)

Jefe
      Participant

Am looking at some apartments there shortly. I will ask around for you about jobs and the work visa thing isn’t a big deal.

Luke

Had to make a decision and went for Chile. Gaining contacts fairly quickly there so should be good. Will get most travel in rest of s and c america done in the new year.

Jefe
      Participant

If you can swing a trip to San Perdo Atacama, try it for a few days!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.