Weapons

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Weapons

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      kramer

Anyone got a good link to a website that lists most rifles etc used by the military with info and pictures? Everything is an AK-47 to me.

Jefe
      Participant

Are you focising on one countries military or just something that might cover any general questions?

kramer

Looking for weapons that one would likely see in this part of the world. I guess that would be the most common or popular ones, eg. AK-47, M16 etc, used by the US, Brits, Italians etc.

Jefe
      Participant

1. Any US weapon has a Technical Manual (TM) available online at the General Dennis Reimer library. Do a key word search, click on official pubs, search all docs, infantry

2. AR15.com has some stuff for AKs etc.

3. snipercountry.com goes into alot of wpns stuff besides sniping. You can ask about any wpn on the “duty roster” and get an answer (or several!)

4. If you have something specific, feel free to ask me also.

Hope it helps.

kramer

Thanks for the links. I’ll start searching when i get to pakistan tommorrow. INternet is a lot cheaper there. You’ll be interested to hear I walked past, by accident, the US embassy yesterday. Looked like a military base until i was informed where i was. Anyway the security guard had the biggest effing rifle i’ve ever seen in my life and a smaller one on his hip just for good measure. Seemed to be made out of some kind of plastic material. Is that the way they are going these days?

BTW Everything worked out okay with the driver.

Jefe
      Participant

You seen any Ghurkas running around? A couple of cronies in the embassy and a couple running Ghurkas for local security.

Everyone always loves to get those guys for a security force. It makes life alot easier!

spamhog

Kramer you can look up my favorite toys on http://www.hecklerandkoch.com or type in heckler and koch for a web search. Lots of SWAT teamsspecial foprces and SEALs use these them. particularly their MP 5 and the navy trigger series. My fav pistol is the P7 M8 or M13, most accurate pistol ever. They used to stock the Binelli M90 auto loading shotgun, my all time fav but apparently had a row with Benelli. Also their training facitity in Chantilly Va is top notch went to many seminars there, good instructors most x Military or SWAT.

Spamhog :twisted:

Anonymous

The P7 M13 is a ugly beuty that you just have to love.

Jefe
      Participant

Besides, that whole cocking mechanism would probably just confuse me!

Seriously, I know they are well regarded, but I see more SIGs being used and have to say I have never shot anything else that compares even though I have to try the “Ugly beauty.!”

Sounds like some type of movie or something!

Why do you guys like them better than SIGs?

Anonymous

You have to have a little bit firmer grip. You get use to it.

One thing way they are a scarce is probably the price, back home are they more then the double price from a Glock 17.

Which is the gun I’m most comfertabel with.

Have you had any problems with your SIG? My friend is issiud one, his just waiting for the problem (something with the hammer, if I remeber it right) so he can change to another model. He has the Sig p 226, 8 round version.
      I think I got it right, as I said Glock is what I’m most used to.

Is this problem something you have experienced or heard about?

kramer

thanks for the link, spamhog. i’ll certainly need these links with all these names flying around.

Jefe…well, actually, i was trying to place the identity of the security guard who i saw and he could very well have been a Ghurka now that you mention it.

Jefe
      Participant

I have never had a problem with my SIG, nor have I heard about any standard problems. It would surprise me if there were, although mine is the .40 cal, not the 9.

Glocks are reliable and I like the safety, but I hate the trigger pull and the magazine release is horrible for speed reloads in my opinion.

Although its all a matter of what works for you.

EMBASSY GUARDS

I dont know if they have any at the embassy. It would surprise me because thats normally for US Citizens only except on the exterior perimeter. Might be. Have a buddy on the Ambassador’s detail, but it would be improper to ask him details about that stuff, particullarly to post on a website!

If you have any balls you will dress like a local and take some photos of it…….KIDDING!

Anonymous

A question about shoulder-butts (if you know what i mean). When do you need one and when do you not? Is it to do with what kind of scenario you are carrying your rifle for, or what? Do all rifles come with one (ie they are detachable)? Some weapons i’ve seen, to my eye don’t look that comfortable to fire with, or at least i don’t see how you can shoot precisely with the lump of metal or wood stuck at the end. Hope this makes sense.

Anonymous

I was wrong it wasn’t the hammer, it was the barrel that didn’t handle the ammo to good.

They sometimes use the 39B, Glock has no problems but most other guns have. The Ingram M-10, I’m told by the guys testing it, can only take one clip before you risking your health firing it.

Jefe
      Participant

Accurate fire without one is pretty tough without alot of practice and only at close range at that.

Many assault rifles have folding or telescoping stocks, which make them easier to transport, particullary in a vehicle/APC or on a parachute drop. If you are in thick jungle, they are also quite handy.

The older CAR15s and new M4 have a telescoping stock, i.e., you press a lever and it slides forward like a telescope and locks until you want to extend it.

Many AK series have folding stocks that when you press the release, allow you to fold a metal stock underneath the rifle where it wont interfere with any operational mechanisms.

Even when you are in urban combat, you want to use your stock.

Hope that helps you out.

SIG:

No, I never had a problem with feeding ammo, although I know a glock will eat about anything.

Anonymous

Makes sense. Most soldiers in Iran at checkpoints didn’t have a visible stock so they must have been folding ones or had levers. A stock also seems to be useful for whacking angry customers with one. A security guard in Ariana Airlines in Herat sure thought so.

Jefe
      Participant

At: http://www.army.lv/English/Oruzhije/Ognestreloruzhie.htm

I think this will be the best page for you on Soviet wpns.

Here is some background that most people don’t know (check the pictures on the link and you will see):

1. All AKs are NOT AK47s! The nomenclature comes from AK for Kalishnakov, the guy who designed it, and then 47, means the design they came up with in 1947. Needless to say, there are many more models with big differences.

2. The AKM, is the same rifle, with a fixed wooden stock. AKMS means folding stock (note the s as in stock). Note that in the illustrations/photos, the stocks that are somewhat triangular fold to the side of the rifle and not underneath. The ones that fold underneath and a butt that also rotates into a horizontal manner when you put it in place

3. Same goes for the AK74 series, i.e. an AK74S has a folding stock etc.

4. The older AKs used 7.62mm ammo. Lots of people think thats the same as 7.62 NATO or common .308 ammo. Not true. The Sov 7.62 is a short cartridge, 39mm long, where the NATO/.308 commericial round is 54mm long. (The SVD and MGs do use 7.62X54, however even with the SVD (their sniper rifle) it is not match grade ammo as in Western sniper ammo.

5. The newer AKs, use a 5.45mm round.

6. All AKs break down into about 5 major pieces. You train a peasant how to maintain one, he knows the entire spectrum of standard issue assault rifles, MGs and sniper rifles. Makes training, maintainance and of course production real easy.

7. The M16s have much better range, accuracy, magazine release and safety than the AKs. AKs are more reliable and will fire no matter how badly abused for the most part. The M16 has a much lighter recoil and if properly maintained is far superior to the AK and its not a matter of opinion, its a fact and a great way to start an argument by saying that!

8. Interesting note about the MGs ammo. Some of it comes in cloth belts rather than a disintegrating metal link ammo like most use. To reload the canvass belts, the soldier must do it one round at a time, an obvious problem.

9. You will find the following structure generally:

Squad lvl: AKM or AK74 (S)/RPK light MG
      PLT lvl: Add a PKM (MG) and SVD (Sniper Rifle)

10. The AKs throw out alot of carbon. Some models throw it right into your eyes if you dont have glasses even with the stock extended, making accurate shooting difficult to say the least.

Hope this helps you. You now know more than most soldiers do about these things!

kramer

So what makes the AK seemingly still such a popular range of rifles. Is it the cost, efficiency, accuracy, durability etc?

spamhog

Kramer unless you have a lot of weapon experience I would forget about folding or telescoping stocks. Generally a stock on a rifle helps one stabilize the weapon for a longer shot not just a military application but deer hunting and in the duck blind too. Certain bodyguards carry such weapons under their top coats for concealability which adds legal considerations to the bal lgame as stocks are designed to conceal the weapon..

retractable stocks are found on Mp5, UZI, CAR armalites an sub guns meant for relaitvely close range, they are used by special units in cramped quarters (Apartments, hallways, air craft fusilage, bus, also you dont wanna repell or fast rope with a long weapon. Firing a shotgun with a folding stock is hard to control the weapon unless you add a pistol grip. What All this nonsense I’m babbling menas is that federal law (and laws of certain states) classify fold stocks etc as ASSUALT WEAPONS and govern their possession National firearms act prohibits certain weapons under barrel lengths and over all length.

Spamhog

Jefe
      Participant

Same thing that makes Lada’s sell in south america. They may not be BMWs, but the price is right and they get the job done.

The factors you listed aside from accuracy are all correct. AKs are not that accurate. More of a spray and pray type of weapon.

Medevac

Just to add to what jefe and spamhog have said (and they know far more than I can ever hope to know), the AK series is so popular because its simple, generic (if you know one, you know them all), and incredibly rugged. It can take all kinds of abuse at the hands of ill-trained guys, go for days without being stripped down and cleaned, and still not jam in a firefight.The early M-16s were notorious for jamming at the worst possible times.
      The Sa-80, used by the Brits is widely regarded as a piece of shit, and liable to jam within 10ft of a speck of dust. During gulf war 1 they were most useful as a sand ladder to haul out bogged down jeeps.
      The Kiwis and Aussies use the Steyr AUGs, which are Austrian ‘bullpup’ design – very futuristic- and made under licence in Australia. (You’re probably familiar with these, at least vaguely) They’re pretty good on the whole, although I broke several in my brief tenure as a soldier. I’m left handed which also added to my personal dislike of the things. They’re a little delicate, I tend to look on them as the ladies handbag pistol of the rifles in use today. And they still jam too much.
      Jefe et al, feel free to disagree with any of the above, like I said, I’m no expert these days.

Jefe
      Participant

First, I havent been a professional soldier in about 10yrs. I am about a generation behind on current equipment and as far as being an expert, once you assume that attitude, you stop learning.

US Customs uses the AUGs and they like them alot, but thats city stuff. One thing I love about the 16 is how fast you can do a magazine change.

I like the Galils quite a bit. Good compromise between the 16/AK. The Colombians used them in 7.62X54 and it was a good choice for them.

How about a thread on First AId there Medevac? The US has a great program called the Combat Lifesaver Course which is one guy per 5men gets solid first aid training for 10 days including IVs etc., especially for Hypovolemic shock/hangovers.

The final exam is during a field training exercise where people have rubber wounds of various types concealed and the Cotroller will just point to someone and they drop with theier wound. The student ttreats the wound while the rest fight the opposing force. Very good course which has enhanced survivability incredibly from just one medic/platoon,.

I always felt bad for the medics. What does someone yell if they are hit or see someone down? MEDIC! Why are the hit? Because they dont have cover and concealemnt. Who gets stuck getting them? The medic! LOL

This Combat Lifesaver thing is real good though. It even covers basics like directing covering fire and smoke while the aid and litter teams recover the WIA.

Gives you more confidence too when you know that the medical help is good and there.

What do you guys do?

Anonymous

Alot of talk about AK’s, everyone refering to the kalashnikov. So I was thinking, i throw in one that you don’t know about. The AK 5, my favourit over both AKM and M16A2. Ofcourse because I have alot more training and experience of it. It was attached to me for while, quite good pillow actually.

AK 5 is a modified FN-FNC, 5.56 mm N. Folding stock, to the side. Easy to change it for lefthand shooters.
      Had VERY few problems with it, can only remeber once. And that was my fault not the weapons. I had been cleaning it and left a fine film of grease. No fun with “chewing gum” in your weapon!

Over to the medic thing, I have never been in combat. But it’s still good to know, when you are 3 guys in the middle of nowhere with the closest anywhere 1-2 days walk away, that everyone are good at first aid. In my unit every soldier had atleast 20 intensive hours of first aid training. The medic, one in each 6 men squad had 2 month’s training and 1 month at a civilian ER.
      Plus to that, every soldier had a EXTENSIVE course in handeling frostbite and hypothermia, during field conditions in the arctic.

Survival and first aid was a part of every field exercise.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.