War

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble War

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gyppo

Egypt and Algeria to go to war over a world cup qualifier and Ireland to go to war with France over a dodgy bit of refereeing. Game/war on. I’ll be watching from the dugouts.

Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak has stepped into a row with Algeria, vowing he will not tolerate the “humiliation” of Egyptian nationals abroad.

The dispute was triggered by violence following football World Cup qualifying matches between the two north African Arab nations.

Algeria won the crucial play-off, but each side has accused the other’s fans of attacking their supporters.

The governing body of world football, Fifa, is investigating the violence.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8372202.stm

The angry atmosphere on the streets of Dublin following Ireland’s controversial World Cup exit was summed up by one of the country’s most famous comedians.

Ardal O’Hanlon, who starred in cult sit-com Father Ted, said there was little to find humorous about Thierry Henry’s hand-ball which gifted France victory over Ireland in the World Cup play-off.

“There’s nothing like injustice to galvanise a nation,” said O’Hanlon on Today FM radio, one of many Dublin stations inundated with furious text messages and irate phone-calls about the Paris match.

One caller pointed out that Henry actually handled the ball twice before France’s winning goal.

“Even in volleyball, that’s a foul,” said the frustrated football fan.

Kissing

“Ireland are still kings – France are wearing a stolen crown,” said another.

“I’ll never drink French wine again,” claimed one woman. Then it got ridiculous as other people texted in to say they would be giving up French bread, and even French kissing.

The radio stations did little to quell the anger with one DJ playing the record ‘I Predict A Riot’ by the Kaiser Chiefs. It was then followed by ‘You Little Thief’ by Feargal Sharkey.

Irish Cabinet Minister Dermot Ahern weighed in with his strong views.

Calling for a replay of the match, the Justice Minister said: “There was no justice last night in Paris.”
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8368944.stm

ROB
      Keymaster

Something tells me taht giving up French kissing isn’t really gonna hurt teh french enconomy… :lol:

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.