The Mad Dog Photography Thread

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble The Mad Dog Photography Thread

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

OK, so I think it’s time I started my own thread, where I can plunder my extensive library of images.

And I’m going to start with this one:

[attachment=0:yd3yrb10]DingiDingi2.jpg[/attachment:yd3yrb10]

Girls at a school in Kitgum, N Uganda, performing the Dingi Dingi dance.
      And before you ask… I have no idea!

ROB
      Keymaster

Nice

Hey, did you intentionally put it in that frame or was that just the way the board made it?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

That’s the way the board made it, is there a way to increase the frame size setting in the ACM?

I might have a look later.

ROB
      Keymaster

Hold off a day or two – there are still a few upgrades going on.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

The flat “hamada” desert that typifies the majority of the Sahara, as opposed to the “ergs” (sand dunes)

This is in Morocco.

[attachment=0:3vla3ahi]hamada1.jpg[/attachment:3vla3ahi]

ROB
      Keymaster

How far south were you there?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

That will have been between Erfoud and Merzouga, so probably about half way down towards WS, but a long way out to the east.

Should have been in WS last month but had to postpone it until April.

ROB
      Keymaster

What do you shoot on?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Nikon D200 now, but that particular picture will have been taken on my old Nikon F90, I think.

ROB
      Keymaster

What lenses you have?

I have a 50mm 1.8, and an 18-70

Got some reversing rings for macro too.

Not sure if I am gonna get a telephoto or a macro next. Probably tele.

I also wanna get an sb600 flash.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

These days I shoot everything through the Nikon 18-200 VR. This lens is the only one I need for most of my travels, and I can therefore keep my packing really light. If I’m shooting birds, then I’ll cart along the Sigma 500mm.
      I wouldn’t mind getting a decent flash, as I do land the occasional commision to earn some money, and a decent flash would look a lot more professional than the rubbish little thing that is built in.

If I won the lottery, then I’d buy myself a Nikon, fixed focal length, 600mm; but that would after the PRS Custom 24 and the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier!

:mrgreen:

ROB
      Keymaster

Have you checked out those REALLY cheap teles? Like the 1500mm f.8 for $150 by Opteka?

By all accounts they’re shit and being stuck on f.8 would suck, but for $150 it’s almost worth a gamble. I mean if you do the maths, a single f stop for $150 is cheaper than the whole range of f stops for $3500.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Don’t waste your money…

A 1500mm lens at f8 would be almost unusable. At anything much less than 1500th of a sec, you’d get serious camera shake (always match your focal length to your shutter speed with telephotos). But the problem is that you’d never have enough light to shoot 1500th sec at f8.

The only way you’d be able to shoot at slower speeds, which you’d have to do most of the time with your available light, would be to use a very solid tripod. You’d probably even have to shoot with a cable release or timer to avoid camera shake on the tripod.

Take your $150 and get heinously drunk instead!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Sea rocks on the Island of La Gomera, Islas De Canarias.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Lilac Breasted Roller, taken in the Kruger Park, SA.

Made the front cover of Surfbirds.com, did this one, a while back.

ROB
      Keymaster

Very nice.

What lens?

Give us the shooting details dammit man!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

OK, I’ll try to remember to do that. If I post anything that was shot on a DSLR then it should be very easy to give you the details based on the metadata. But details of any older images, shot using slide or neg, will be purely down to my aging memory.

This image was shot on a Nikon F90, using a sigma 200-500mm lens. I will have tried to shoot as fast a shutter speed as possble, but probably only managed around 250th sec, based on the fact that the Sigma 200-500mm is a very slow lens.
      On that particular trip to SA I used a pillow in the car window to rest the lens on, when shooting the birds and game in the Kruger Park. This is a very effective method of reducing camera shake when using big zoom lenses.

Cheers.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Took this one from the road to Kisoro, SW Uganda. It’s the first view of the Virungas that you have, just as you clear the top of the last ridge and begin your decent towards the tri-border with Rwanda and DRC.
      In my opinion, it’s one of the world’s greatest views.

Shot on a cheap Panasonic snappy (I’d had my Nikon pinched the previous day), I’m fairly certain the volcanoes that are visible are, left to right as follows:
      – Muhabura – The first in the chain, this one towers over you if you take the track between Kisoro and the Rwanda border crossing at Cyanika.

– Mgahinga

– (faint in the distance) – the saddle between Karisimbi and Visoke. It was on that saddle where Diana Fossey set up her reserach centre, naming it Karasoke.

– Sabinyo – recognizable from the ragged rim around the crater (I knew a girl like that!)

– Muside

– (faint in the distance and off to the right hand edge of the frame) Nyamaniagira, in the DRC.

With the exception of Nyamaniagira, all of these volcanoes sit astride the Rwandan border.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

From the Watercress line in Hampshire, UK.

I just love that smell of oil and steam, and the sensation of the ground shaking when one of these beauties rolls by.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Vakarajarvi, in the far north of Sweden, somewhere near the Finnish border.

It was late December and the temperature was hanging around -30

Time – 4pm.

Camera – Nikon F90
      Film – Fijichrome Sensia 100
      Lens – Nikkor 28-105
      Exposure – 30secs (tripod and cable release)
      Aperture – f3.5

Main concern at these temperatures was the speed at which I went through batteries.

Cheers.

ROB
      Keymaster

How much did your sigma 500 cost? Any good?

Also, what did you take the bird shot with and what settings?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Think the Sigma was about £350, but it was a long time ago since I bought it.

I took the LB Roller on my Nikon F90 with that Sigma lens, but have no idea what settings it was. Would have been at 500mm and probably at 500th sec.

Just noticed the Roller picture is very pixelated. I need to change that for the high-res one.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.