Subang Ciater Volcano – West Java Indonesia

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Subang Ciater Volcano – West Java Indonesia

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I went to Subang Ciater, West Java yesterday with a buddy of mine to see Tangkuban Perahu – a semi-active Volcano here in Indonesia.

It’s about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Jakarta so we set off around 6am (the earliest I have been awake in 7 months) and fought traffic for 1 hour before we were even out of Jakarta – but at least he drove the JITW Urban Assault Vehicle (hehehe just a CRV) for me so I could sleep

On the way there you pass through an area that is famous throughout all Indonesia for its “Honey Pineapples”. The Pineapple venders are lined up beside the road along a quarter mile stretch, so he stopped at his favorite stand (looked all the same to me) and we picked up a some for us and his kids, they will even peal and cut them up for you right there so you can eat em’ on the spot

Anyway, they were the best dang Pineapples that I have ever had in my life. They were as juicy as watermelons and sweet like candy = The Bomb. I bought 10 and now I have heartburn from eating them all morning long.

Honey Pineapple Roadside Venders:

When we arrived at the Volcano I was actually a bit disappointed because I was expecting to see Lava bursting into the sky and Mothra flying over or something dramatic like that. But it was still pretty cool, steam was coming out of the crater (?) and the sulfur smell was pretty strong so you get the sight-smell-feel experience. The venders are pretty aggressive there also, the attack as soon as you get out of your car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangkuban_Perahu

Tangkuban Perahu Volcano (View 1):

Tangkuban Perahu Volcano (View 2):

Tangkuban Perahu Volcano (View 3):

But it was an interesting experience and the surrounding city Subang Ciater was a really beautiful Tea Leaf farming area.

Subang Ciater:

I also rented a horse and rode around the Volcano area for a half an hour:

JITW and Horse (we are engaged now):

And there is an area with lots of locally made Souvenirs behind the Volcano viewing area, I bought a container made of petrified wood. The Venders here are Not aggressive and let you look at your leisure, you can also get some chow or a soda here.

Vender Area:

After the Volcano we went to the Hot Spring Spa at the base of the Volcano, the water is so hot that you have to get out every 10 minutes because you feel like your liver is cooking (or if you drink like I do – what’s left of your liver)

Hot Spring Volcano Spa (*Note* Many Beautiful Gals Hang Out Here – Sorry No Piks):

My Hand after a two hour soak (including breaks):

Next up for JITW: S. Korea in 2 days
      ~JITW

ROB
      Keymaster

Very cool update James, Thanks for putting it up here.

Can’t wait for Sth Korea!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

James,

You are one odd-looking mutha!

ROB
      Keymaster

Yeah, you really need some dental work on that one tooth,

Stiv

Thanks for the photos and report James, looks fun.

In Thailand they had two different varieties of pineapple (mmmm LOVE the stuff) in the north it was sweeter and juicier but the fruit themselves were larger. In the south they were smaller, crunchier and tangy.

The best I’ve had was in Costa rica it was so tender you could eat the core and all.

Pineapple is an incredibly iefficient crop to grow as the plant only is able to give edible fruit twice the first time being the prime one. After the second fruit the have to start all over again replanting,

How was the durian. Were the springs mineral as well or just thermal?

Thanks again.
      Best,
      Stiv

@ROB wrote:

Very cool update James, Thanks for putting it up here.

Can’t wait for Sth Korea!

I doubt that I could post pictures of what I’ll be doing in Korea

But I will be in Mexico in 10 days, a buddy of mine is taking me on the dope smuggling routes, supposably you can see runners heading to the US border, should be interesting

@Stiv wrote:

How was the durian. Were the springs mineral as well or just thermal?

I don’t like durians, never got over the smell

And the springs are mineral and thermal, you can taste it

James

I can put some more exact information on traveling there if you dudes want to put this in the Bastards’ Milione

~James

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Go for it. We can never have too much info.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.