Soccer, Football, Lines and Queues

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Soccer, Football, Lines and Queues

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Kurt
      Participant

When I think of the game we in the US call soccer, I call it soccer…even abroad, because I find that most people hear my accent and assume I am talking about American football if I just say “football” while meaning “soccer”.

But while abroad I use the term queue unless other north Americans are around then I can safely say “line” or “line up”. For some reason this seems to work better.

I never use the term fag for a cigarrette at home or abroad.

I was just thinking about this while attempting to be creative with leftovers (dried baby eels, thai chili peppers served with a peanut butter and jelly raisin bagel on the side..the eels adn chilis deep-fried then served with salt, lemon juice and toassted sesame seeds are great..I ate a shocking amount of them.)

ROB
      Keymaster

I find myself now saying vacation rather than holiday (which to me ar ethe same thing, but it seems to confuse a few other nationalities.

I have also developed one of those nasty “international” accents. My deaf 94 year old grandmother last week asked me, “Why are you talking like that?” What can I say? I’ll have to work on my aussie twang when i get home or risk serious piss taking.

NGrubeck

Got to love those international accents… I’ve heard everything from English to South African to New Zealand about mine and my Finnish housemate spends the first half of every conversation with new people convincing them that he is NOT American.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.