Saddam Captured – What will happen to him now?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Saddam Captured – What will happen to him now?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

I’ll take a shot in the dark and say he will be handed over to the new Iraqi administration to deal with.

spamhog

Only two options as I see it, one is let him face Iraqi justice, which I don’t think will be much in the way of a “fair and impartial trial”, a complete circus ending with a bullet in the head or worse, not exactly a great image for an “imerging democracy” but it will focus a lot of hostility on the man and possibly away from colition troops, politically, I thinbk this is the best choice.

Option two is turn him (and many others in the regime) over to the world court, try him in the Hague
      Problem with the second one is, the Iraqi’s might come totally unglued, figuring its some kinda sham, we lied etc, might make it tougher to cement things back together plus what happens on the outside chance he gets off or gets a light sentence?

In the mean time, we clean him up, hold him in a cell, trot him out like a dancing bear every once in a while and use it for all the propaganda, reverse psych we can, this will give us a chance to see what impact this capture will actually have until things cool down.

Spamhog

But the US isn’t a signator to the ICC. Why would they hand him over to a court they don’t recognize?

Wouldn’t he go to Gitmo with all the other 9/11 war prisoners, and get the “military tribunal” there? As if, of course, the tribunal would find him of anything other than guilty.

Anonymous

For interrogative purposes, how long does the US need to hold onto Saddam to interrogate him for any and all info that he may know? Since not saying anything at all is really his best course of action to extend his time on planet earth if he wants it, what methods are used to get this info from him? Which are legal, which are illegal, and which are going to be used no matter just how legal they aint? The only thing I got from the Khalid Sheik Mohammed capture was alot of sleep deprivation is used. So, share some knowledge.

ROB
      Keymaster

SRR: The US could get around that ICC problem by handing him to the Iraqi admin and have them sign up to the ICC and hand him over.

They are gonna want to avoid a show trial I would imagine.

kramer

I know Iran wants some kind of international court trial. Would be interesting to see how much of a defence he will put up/be allowed to put up. Would he call witnesses from the West who aided him when Iraq was fighting Iran?

Yeah, I think it would initially go to the Iraqis.

ROB
      Keymaster

Some probs might be that Saddam could very well embarass a lot of people if he is allowed a proper defence. However, thre would be a problem with a show trial also.

Jefe
      Participant

We will squeeze Saddam for about 6 months before handing him over to an Iraqi tribunal which will execute him.

Anonymous

I believe you are right Jefe.They are shooting for independence about 6 months from now.But they may try for an execution date closer to the 04′ election.

Jefe
      Participant

Budweiser with free sausages at the execution!

Sorry, just a thought.

Whatever court he winds up I would be more interested in exactly what are the charges they are going to come up with?

You cant charge a guy just for being a dickhead and charges would have to be specific? You cant just say well we think this guy was responsible for this many peoples deaths, wham yer guilty, you have to be able to show he was actually responsible for who, how many, when and where, dates, times etc. And thats just for the murder part.

I think to do this they will need other memebers of his regime caught before any kind of a trial ensues. I think they need the face card members of the deck on trial and not just Saddam to do this effectively and fairly.

In the meantime I would agree with Jefe that they will squeeze him for awhile to gleen anything they can out him, as it also buys them more time until other regime members are rounded up fore the trial.

Who`s gonna roll on whom?

ROB
      Keymaster

I thought they had pretty good specifics of that time he murdered his cabinet minister – shot him in the head with an audience apparently.

But you are right – specifics is the key.

Anonymous

Everybody wants to see this fucker condemned publicly for his truly heinoius crimes but, under islamic law and with the Iraqi’s trying him, can’t he be put to death for hoisting that $4 billion before the war started? Documented, loads of witnesses, a paper trail, and easily proven. Any sharia experts in our humble group? Not that the US would let him burn for anything less than being the middle easts equivalent to Hitler (and we shouldn’t). Just a side thought.

Jefe
      Participant

Trust me, there is no disagreeemnt that he can be executed for a number of issues under islamic law (sharia) which does influence things here.

They are training the tribunal right now and he is goign to die after the intel is squeezed out of him and good riddance.

ROB
      Keymaster

I thought it might be timely to bump this topic to the top.

Iraqis to take custody of Saddam
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3849837.stm

Saddam has been awarded POW status
      Iraq’s prime minister says former President Saddam Hussein will be handed to Iraqi legal custody on Wednesday and charged the following day.
      The announcement comes a day after the US-led coalition handed power to Iyad Allawi’s interim government.

Iraqi officials say the charges against the ex-leader are likely to include crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Earlier three US troops were killed in a roadside bomb attack in Baghdad – the first combat deaths since the handover.

POSSIBLE WAR CRIMES CHARGES
      Invasion of Kuwait
      Suppression of Kurd and Shia uprisings
      Iran-Iraq War
      Gas attack on Kurds

Likely charges for Saddam
      Iraq’s top detainees

In other developments:

A US soldier missing in Iraq since April is reported shot dead by his captors
      three Turks kidnapped last week are released
      rocket-propelled grenades are reportedly fired at a police station south of Baghdad, killing two Iraqis
      new US ambassador John Negroponte, along with Neil Mules of Australia and Torben Getterman of Denmark, present their credentials to the new Iraqi leadership in separate ceremonies.
      Notorious detainees

Saddam Hussein, who was captured by US forces near his hometown of Tikrit in December, will remain in a US-run jail until Iraqi detention services are ready to take physical custody.

He will not face trial for several months, Mr Allawi said.

“This government has formally requested the transfer of the most notorious and high-profile detainees to Iraqi legal custody,” Mr Allawi told reporters.

“So Saddam Hussein…. along with up to 11 other high valued detainees will be transferred to the legal custody of Iraq tomorrow.”

TOP DETAINEES
      1. Tariq Aziz – Deputy PM
      2. Taha Yassin Ramadan – Vice-President
      3. Sultan Hashim Ahmad al-Tal – Defence Minister
      4. Abed Hamid Mahmoud – presidential secretary
      5. Ali Hasan al-Majid – “Chemical Ali”
      6. Watban Ibrahim Hassan al-Tikriti – Saddam Hussein’s half-brother – intelligence minister
      7. Barzan Ibrahim Hassan al-Tikriti – half brother – director of the intelligence service
      8. Muhammad Hazmaq al-Zubaidi – Deputy PM and member of the Revolutionary Command Council (RCC)
      9. Aziz Salih al-Numan – Baath Party regional commander
      10. Sabir Abdul Aziz al-Douri – head of military intelligence
      11. Kamal Mustafa Abdallah Sultan Tikriti – Republican Guard secretary
      The 11 other top detainees include former Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz, Ali Hassan al-Majid – known as “Chemical Ali” – former Vice-President Taha Yassin Ramadan, and two of Saddam Hussein’s half-brothers.

Saddam Hussein is expected to face war crimes charges over the 1990 invasion of Kuwait and subsequent suppression of Shia and Kurdish uprisings, the use of chemical weapons against the Kurds in 1988 and the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq war.

But the Iraqi official preparing cases against the men, Salem Chalabi, told the BBC that arrest warrants had only just been issued for the accused and charges had not yet been finalised.

Some indictments would be brought in the autumn of this year, but not for the top people on the list, he said.

Answering questions from journalists, Justice Minister Malik Dohan al-Hassan said Saddam Hussein could have a foreign lawyer if the Iraqi Lawyers’ Association agreed.

The US has been under pressure to hand over Saddam Hussein after formally ending the occupation of Iraq.

The international Red Cross said the former Iraqi leader, designated a prisoner of war, could not continue to be held by US forces after the conflict ended.

Emergency measures

Iraq’s interim interior minister told the BBC he believed the security forces could win public confidence by tackling terrorism and organised crime – something he said American-led forces had largely failed to do.

The assumption of authority by the new government lays the foundations for addressing the mistakes of Saddam’s dictatorship and the US occupation

Egypt’s Al-Akhbar newspaper

Media assesses handover
      Falah Hassan Al-Naqib said the government would not hesitate to introduce emergency security measures if they were required, but that no decision had yet been made to do so.

The interim government has been empowered to conduct the day-to-day running of Iraq, but its existence is guaranteed by the presence of a multinational force led by about 138,000 US forces.

The handover of power had been due to take place on Wednesday, but a hurried and secret ceremony was held on Monday between outgoing civil administrator Paul Bremer, Mr Allawi and several figures of the new interim government.

At a second ceremony in the afternoon – broadcast live on Iraqi TV – the interim government was sworn in and Mr Allawi urged all Iraqis to unite against “foreign terrorists who are killing our children and destroying our country”.

Jefe
      Participant

Of course who would wnat Saddam sitting in a prision inspiring his followers to try to rescue him or his cronies etc.?

He will be gone.

Public Hanging sponsored by Budweiser is my vote!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.