Rugby World Cup

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Rugby World Cup

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author
      kramer

You guys been following it at all?

ROB
      Keymaster

Watched Japan come very close to upsetting Scotland the other night. Also heard that the US have Fiji a scare.

Australia might win if they are lucky, but I reckon we will see the cup go to England. Let’s hope the all blacks can salvage southern hemisphere pride if my prediction is accurate.

Anonymous

Is there much interest in Japan re the world cup?

In Canada there are two categories of sports: Hockey, and Not Hockey. I believe the sport you mentioned falls somewhere in the category of Not Hockey. Therefore, no one pays any attention at all to it.

I would much rather watch people smash their skulls on ice than watch a game that’s played on rugs anyways…..

Anonymous

or should I say hope- is a Wallabies vs All Blacks final- with the AB’s taking the cup home making it a Grand slam- Tri-Nations/Bledisloe/WC. F*** England, hope they go out in the quarters!

Foulplay

F*** England!!!???

Not very sporting is it.

Good to see England doing well at a sport that isn’t tarnished with the violence that follows football. (Not that we ever do well at football)

Any South Africans on this board? Have a good weekend? We did. :D

Can’t see us winning the tournament. I reckon that’ll go to the ABs.

FP.

kramer

Hmmm. France are third in the betting, might be worth a punt. Australia have been waaaaay under-par and not confident at all against NZ. France may upset England and (sorry Foul Play) I hope they do.

Foulplay

I work with a Kiwi and he’s hoping France will upset the english apple-cart too.
      That’s because he’s genuinely worried that the Lions could sneak a victory.

Personally I think we’ll scrape through past France and lose big style to the ABs in the final.

Kristy

I’m officially very upset with the Rugby results. Not only did my team lose the quarter finals, but my favourite player is retiring. Joost, why must you do this??!! I think it will be an All Black vs France final, sorry England. The Aussie vs Kiwi final this weekend should be really good. I support the All Blacks, even if they did beat us. They have Carlos Spencer, need I say more. It’s great to be a female rugby fan.

rickshaw92
      Participant

but the headlines here lead me to believe that there team sucks.

ROB
      Keymaster

that’s probably a bit harsh. Sure they are having a bit of a form slump, but they aree still capable of competing with thet best in the world and are still certianly in the top 4 teams IMHO.

kramer

Hmmmm…. eddie jones is persisting with that fullback/wing combo and no room for matt burke even on bench. i dunno. hope i’m wrong.

as for female rugby fans…a lot better than for male fans of female rugby. is it carlos spencer’s tatoo which does it for u kristy?

ROB
      Keymaster

YOu gotta be shitting me about Burke! What the fuck is Jones thinking? I hadnt read teh line up yet.

kramer

He wasn’t on the bench for the Scotland match and not for this one, so they leave out their most experienced player against NZ. Giteau got injured in last match so thought Burke would come in. No, brought in Nathan Grey instead. It’s the same side as last match. Roff on bench.

ROB
      Keymaster

Australia: 22 New Zealand: 10

And that my friends is a lovely thing to behold.

Kristy

Bah, I give up. Now all I can do is root for the French (my favourite rugger teams are 1) South Africa, 2) New Zealand, 3) France). Yes, Spencer’s tattoo has a lot to do with it, and his hair! But the blue eyes dark hair clinches it. He has very masculine features. It can’t be much fun being a male female rugby fan. I love playing rubgy, but I’m to short, too small, and not, well, manly enough.

Foulplay

Rob,

I hope we’re not gonna fall out when England whip your arses next Saturday and bring the silverware back to the northern hemisphere!!! :lol:

FP

kramer

Around a group of english supporters in the world cup winning colours of australia, next week after the final. Foulplay is clearly delusional over there in the mother country!

Kristy

I think a chesterfield from a parallel dimension will suddenly appear in the middle of the field, resulting in a highy unexpected conclusion. Oh wait, that’s cricket.

ROB
      Keymaster

What do you mean “back” to the Northern hemisphere? It was never there in the first place! :wink:

I am not quite sure how Kristy can put a Northern hemisphere team in her top three – that is akin to blasphemy in Australia.

Foulplay

Rob – Australia 17 – 20 England…. And that my friends is a lovely thing to behold.

Kramer – Not so delusional eh? :lol:

kramer

ahem…i guess so….congrats

ROB
      Keymaster

A pretty goood game. And being an optimist, I am looking on the bringht side: At lease the French didn’t win.

England were indeed the better side.

Foulplay

… when it mattered.

For much of the tournament, many (me included) didn’t think England would make the final, let alone go on to win.

I wasn’t lucky enough to see the game live. I was in Stockholm and unable to see it. Had to endure 2 or 3 minute updates on BBC.com.
      Saw the re-run on Saturday night after I got home. Brilliant.

Pity about the sour grapes from the Aussie media.

ROB
      Keymaster

You must have been reading the english media’s qwrap up of the Aussie media cos the papers I read were nothing short of gracious.

I think there is a big rivalry between the English and Aussie sproting media. I have read “wraps” of the English media that would lead you to think that the UK was about to launch nuclear missile our way. A quick check of the internet showed that these were the exception rather than the rule.

Anonymous

@Foul Play wrote:

… I wasn’t lucky enough to see the game live. I was in Stockholm and unable to see it. Had to endure 2 or 3 minute updates on BBC.com.

I managed to accidentally be in England when this game was occurring (I’ll be honest, I had no idea it was even going on until my friend in England mentioned it).

I was thus lucky enough to be drinking English beer, eating minced pie, and watching the match in a British pub. Quite the atmosphere, and it was an absolutely brilliant game. It just doesn’t get any more dramatic than that.

/andrew

ROB
      Keymaster

Really should bump this thread for predictions.

Sure, Australia fell to Ireland, but to be honest, I still think we’ll take it this time. :)

Penta2
      Participant

11 tries is not to be sniffed at. Good comeback.

ROB
      Keymaster

Yeah, it wasn’t exactly pretty though.

If we play like that against Sth Africa, we’ll get hammered, let alone the ABs.

Penta2
      Participant

Ten’s not so bad either. But the All Blacks against les Bleus next: now that should be worth watching.

Penta2
      Participant

All Blacks: where “awesome” can be used properly for once.

ROB
      Keymaster

They’ll find a way to choke somewhere.

But England seem to be coming good at the right time.

Penta2
      Participant

I wouldn’t count on anything as far as England’s concerned. It looks as if they might have to beat Scotland to go through, and Scotland is to England much as France is to NZ. :( Go Argentina (for now)!

Penta2
      Participant

Phew!

France next. Going to have to play much better then.

ROB
      Keymaster

They lost a pretty embarrassing match. They might be hungry now.

ROB
      Keymaster

Now it’s starting to get interesting…

Go Wales!

Penta2
      Participant

I didn’t see the Australia-SA match – much too early for a Sunday morning – but it didn’t sound good. But at least you won.

ROB
      Keymaster

I think it was the best defensive effort I have seen from any rugby team ever.

Penta2
      Participant

The Wallabies showed today they can attack as well as defend, especially in the second half. Very gutsy.

The ABs will take France apart, as they deserve. Tragic that Wales were stuffed – they showed such heart.

ROB
      Keymaster

I hope I am wrong, but I just cannot count a Kiwi choke out, yet.

Penta2
      Participant

Bitty match, but the Aussies deserved to win. Nice consolation try for Wales at the end, which might give a little cheer to my Welsh nephews who were so devastated after the semi.

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.