Polos Bastards travel "album"

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Polos Bastards travel "album"

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

ROB,Lee…everyone..

How about setting up Polos bastards travel “photo album” on the forum.
      Kind of like what you see on Flickr.Not junk but updated photographs where travelers can post their images.

would it create more traffic?.

LS.

ROB
      Keymaster

Do you mean specifically for the forum? Or for the main site?

I could possibly get something coded that would allow you to display your actual flickr photos on the main site. IS that what you mean?

I think it’s a good idea.

I was thinking for the forum or the main site.Something where people can add pictures of places they have traveled. A collaborative photo album, as it were.

Stiv

:idea: I like it too, what would be super nice is if (in an ideal world) they could be uploaded straight to the site rather than having to host them somewhere.

I’m not sure why I think that would be better, but it would be one less step.

I think it would be cool for some kind of publication to come out of this group, photos, writings, bric-a-brac whateva.

Ok I’ll sit back down and keep quiet now :oops:

Best,
      Stiv

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Let’s give it a go. Sounds like a good idea.

ROB
      Keymaster

Can anyone show me an example of what you are talking about?

I have some ideas, but the trick will be getting them to work with the CMS so that everyone can upload their stuff.

(Note: currently everyone with access to a Log can upload photos.)

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

A simple way of doing it would be to have a photos section in the forum, as opposed to on the main site.

For that to work people would either email their pics over to one of us and we would then FTP them onto the server and post each batch as a new thread in the photos forum. Or we’d need to set up a webspace that all can FTP into (once we share the passsword of course to prevent any idiot from abusing it)

If we (Rob, Stiv and me) are to be doing the FTPing on behalf of others, then people would need to do their part before submitting images, by doing any necessary PS tasks, such as cropping, autolevels and resizing. Obviously some folks don’t have the wherewithall to do PS work, but as long as we weren’t having to do all that ourselves for every submission, the time taken to upload pictures would be minimal and the whole process would work well.

I run a similar system on my soccer forum.

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, I have actually found a way we can have a “photo album” on the main site whereby we can all upload our own photos.

Give me a couple of days to sort it out and I’ll see if I can get it working properly.

DrDave
      Participant

Pictures are good, I’m still trying to learn how to read.

Now, that’s not a sentence I want to hear uttered by my medical professional. ;)

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, weird – I just quoted DrDave and now the post that I made is showing up as a post made by him.

Something else to fix!

ROB
      Keymaster

Actually, maybe I hit edit instead of quote. :?

Sorry, Dave.

DrDave
      Participant

I see how you are. I feel violated.

rickshaw92
      Participant

Cool idea.

@rickshaw92 wrote:

Cool idea.

Violating DrDave?

@Lee wrote:

A simple way of doing it would be to have a photos section in the forum, as opposed to on the main site.

For that to work people would either email their pics over to one of us and we would then FTP them onto the server and post each batch as a new thread in the photos forum. Or we’d need to set up a webspace that all can FTP into (once we share the passsword of course to prevent any idiot from abusing it)

If we (Rob, Stiv and me) are to be doing the FTPing on behalf of others, then people would need to do their part before submitting images, by doing any necessary PS tasks, such as cropping, autolevels and resizing. Obviously some folks don’t have the wherewithall to do PS work, but as long as we weren’t having to do all that ourselves for every submission, the time taken to upload pictures would be minimal and the whole process would work well.

I run a similar system on my soccer forum.

Thats what im thinking of.I think most people here know how to re size their images.Colour correcting,levels and curves etc ..doesnt matter so much, so long as the images do not obviously need attention.Right?.

Btw, Lee. Ive PM’d you.

ROB
      Keymaster

Well, it’s up to you guys, but I can tell you that thte main site gets a lot more eyeballs than the forum and I can make it relatively easy to upload to the main site (if everything goes smoothly).

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Quit stalling and do it!

:wink:

ROB
      Keymaster

But are you REALLY, REALLY sure?

;)

Stiv

@ROB wrote:

Well, it’s up to you guys, but I can tell you that thte main site gets a lot more eyeballs than the forum and I can make it relatively easy to upload to the main site (if everything goes smoothly).

I agree it should go on the front page IMHO.

Best,
      Stiv

DrDave
      Participant

@ROB wrote:

;)

I think we need a committee to properly screw up a good idea. We should discuss it until it become a pile of goo and not an idea with merit. I am sure with enough time and opinions, we can eliminate any semblance of the original concept.

The pre-meeting to the pre-meeting will be scheduled tentatively at 7:30pm at the Holiday Inn in Maputo (it has the nicest view of the ocean). After that we can establish the parameters necessary to properly describe the concept and allow creative license so it can be an evolving concept and not static. The Pre-meeting will be scheduled, and location determined, after the pre-meeting meeting is complete and from there we will move on to a new venue for the actual meeting.

I believe this will be an exciting venture and I am looking forward to working with all of you. Remember i want to stress that efficiency is key to our success so do not waste any time with frivolous activities and non-meritorious discussions.

Stiv

@DrDave wrote:

@ROB wrote:

;)

I think we need a committee to properly screw up a good idea. We should discuss it until it become a pile of goo and not an idea with merit. I am sure with enough time and opinions, we can eliminate any semblance of the original concept.

The pre-meeting to the pre-meeting will be scheduled tentatively at 7:30pm at the Holiday Inn in Maputo (it has the nicest view of the ocean). After that we can establish the parameters necessary to properly describe the concept and allow creative license so it can be an evolving concept and not static. The Pre-meeting will be scheduled, and location determined, after the pre-meeting meeting is complete and from there we will move on to a new venue for the actual meeting.

I believe this will be an exciting venture and I am looking forward to working with all of you. Remember i want to stress that efficiency is key to our success so do not waste any time with frivolous activities and non-meritorious discussions.

Dave you’re hired!

I have some people I’d like you to meet……. :P

Best,
      Stiv

ROB
      Keymaster

@Stiv wrote:

Unfortunately, i think we all do…

Stiv

@ROB wrote:

@Stiv wrote:

Unfortunately, i think we all do…

Yeah Dave really hit a nerve there.

One of my new duties is listening to exactly that type of blather in what seems like an endless series of hoc and ad-hoc meetings/powows/brewhahas that test every fibre of my wherewithall to accomplish:
      1.My staying awake
      2.Me caring
      3.Self control refraining from either verbally or physically assualting the various degree wielding over-educated-shit-heads to help:
      I.To silence them
      II.To stay awake
      III.To help teach them that some of us are not impressed with (and find repugnant) thier idea of intelligent and effective communications regardless of how awesome that last “Be a better team leader” seminar says it is.

Ok I’ll stop there.

See what happened?

Alright, excuse me while I rummage around for my jar of benzos, it’s a holiday weekend (labor day ironically :roll: ) and I’d like to divorce myself of all workthink for a few days anyway :?

Ciao,
      Stiv

ROB
      Keymaster

uM, after a couple of hours fucking around iwth plugins and code, I am wondering if it’s just a better idea to give “authors” access to post in the “photos” category?

The ease of uploading pics using the interface that you use for writing is about as simple as any album software i can find too.

Opinions?

DrDave
      Participant

I think we should get Stiv’s leadership team to help us decide.

It doesn’t matter to me, whatever is easiest for you and easiest for dolts like me to figure out.

Maybe just add on another forum?..

ROB
      Keymaster

I thought you wanted to be able to upload your images directly to our server?

That would be preferable.

:D

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, here’s the rub.

If the album is on the forum, then you cannot upload pics to our servers. If you insist that it be the forum and that you upload to our servers then we would need to upgrade to VBulletin which would cost Lee about $300 and he still hasn’t sent me my Christmas present from last year.

If I give you access to the photos section of the main site, then you can upload everything you want, but the learning curve is a little steeper, the potential for fuck ups slightly higher, but it could be done easily enough.

What say you all?

mikethehack
      Participant

I just want to have a proper fight with someone first. Every deal should be preceded by a decent punch up. It’s called ‘ironing things out.’

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, I **think** I may have found a pretty cool way for us all to put up albums.

Check out this site and let me know what you think:

http://www.machiavelli.com.au/image-gallery/?gid=1

I am pretty sure I can set up the backend so we can do something similar.

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, that’s obviously a fizzer.

How about this:

https://polosbastards.com/pb/nz-photos/

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Rob,

I think that looks great. How easy would it be to set it up so that when you click on a thumbnail, it opens the “lightbox” way?

And cheers for publishing the Daghestan article for me. Just not enough hours in the day!

rickshaw92
      Participant

Cool stuff Rob. Will this thing be similar to photobucket where you can store fuckloads of photos and only allow certan ones to be seen? Will there be a photoshop option?

ROB
      Keymaster

Lee – that’s beyond my coding capabilities, but we could probably get it coded up pretty cheap.

Rickshaw – No – we can’t really afford the storage or bandwidth for uploading thousands of photos. It would really only be for photos you want to get seen.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

we can’t really afford the storage or bandwidth for uploading thousands of photos. It would really only be for photos you want to get seen.

Would also help, if folks ensure that they set pics to 72dpi before uploading, too. Anything more takes up space without improving the quality (on the screen, at least)

ROB, I like the second option..

Lets go with it.Can you make a link to this new page on the home page?.

BTW?.how good are you at Dreamweaver and HTML coding?.

ROB
      Keymaster

There’s actually already a link to the “photography” section from the front, but I will make a more prominent one.

I’ll set it all up tonight.

I am ok with html and dreamweaver – why?

Great.

I might be asking you a few questions about HTMLscript ,CSS and Dreamweaver CS3 seeing as I’m redesigning my website.Is that cool?.

ROB
      Keymaster

No probs. I might even be able to answer some of them!

What’s your URL?

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.