Pictures from Uganda/Rwanda 07

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Pictures from Uganda/Rwanda 07

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Hi all,

Back in the western world now, and trying to get the insurance claim through for my losses while in Uganda. Loss adjuster is coming over on Tuesday, so hopefully it can all be sorted out and I can get my new D80.

Despite the fact that I lost my camera on the first day of the trip, my mate David had his small snappy digital, so I was still able to collect some images. Here is a small selection for y’all.

Cheers,

Lee.

View across the southern tip of Lake Kivu. The boat moorings in the middle of the picture are in Cyangugu, Rwanda. The town in the background is Bukavu, DRC.

Final approach to the Kamranzovu waterfall in the Nyungwe rainforest. Kamranzovu is Kinyarwandan for “the place where elephants cannot come out”, referring to the steep sides of the valley.

An excerpt from “Innocent” magazine, in the window at the Gisozi genocide memorial, Rwanda.

Kabale, Uganda.

First sight of the Kiranamzovu waterfall, Nyungwe rainforest, Rwanda.

Cemetery – Kibuye, Rwanda. Kibuye has the dubious distinction of being the scene of the worst massacres in 1994. An estimated 9 out of 10 Tutsis were slain here.

Kibuye Church – 4000 Tutsi men, women and children took refuge here one day during the massacre. A mob, drunk on banana beer, threw grenades through the windows and then went in with machetes and spears to finish off the job. It took them about three hours.

Lake Kivu (south)

Open mass grave at Gisozi memorial, Rwanda. As the gacaca courts continue, new accounts of the genocide are still coming to light, meaning that bodies are still being found 13 years later. Some of those bodies are brought to Gisozi.

Rusizi River that forms the border between Rwanda and DRC. The opposite bank is Congo.

First view of the Virunga volcanoes from the road between Kabale and Kisoro, Uganda. From left to right, the volcanoes that are visible are Muhabura, Gahinga, Visoke, Sabinyo and Karisimbe. To the far right, in the haze, is Nyamuragira.

Washing veg in the stream. Rural track between Kamembe and Kibuye, Rwanda.

Stiv

Very nice Lee! It looks like you great weather.

I guess that was obviously a nice time of year to visit.

I particularly like the Lake Kivu (South) Was that a photo stitch wide?

Despite the setback it seems as though it was a nice journey. Nice to have you back.

Best,
      Stiv

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

It was supposed to be the rainy season, but the rain is late this year.

The photograph of Kivu south was a standard frame that I cropped down and then photoshopped the colour.

Debris

Nice pics mate!

I very much like that one of the bikers

Great photos, but why did you have to kill so many Tutsis? :lol:

Look forward to the PB’s article.

seeker

thanks for posting those…awesome stuff – kudos.

Kapa

Not bad pics for a compact camera… just goes to
      show it’s not the kit but the shooter that counts ;-)

Bummer Lee you lost your D80… what the f*** happened?
      I’ve been off the radar a while and missed that. What sort
      (who with) insurance policy did you have….?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I lost my pack on the bus out of Kampala, when some sneaky bastard just brazenly carried it off from under my nose. In it was my D70s plus lens, my travel journal (with Sami Reindeer Migration, Nomads of Ararat, N Iraq, N Uganda) plus everything else, bar my passport and money, which was in my pocket.

I learned two days later that although my travel insurance did not cover me for any of it, an extended worldwide policy that I took out on my home insurance three years ago with Lloyds TSB did.

The insurance paid up without any quibbles, and I was able to add a bit of my own cash and upgrade to the D200.

Not a very nice experience at the time, but a few cold beers and a broad perspective helped me get over the initial shock. Went shopping the following morning for a new pack, clothes, toiletries, mossie net etc, so that we could continue. Managed to salvage the trip without too much trouble, but gutted that I lost my journal. That was irreplaceable.

2Charlie
      Participant

ROB
      Keymaster

That whitey is wearing what looks like a good travel shirt. What is it?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Cheers, 2C. It’s an incredible place, and one to sit quietly and reflect.
      I’d recommend anybody to visit that little corner of the globe.

Rob, That whitey is David Perkins, who wrote the “Bombay Dreams” log that we posted a couple of years ago.

I’ll ask him what shirt it is.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.