Off to Zimbabwe

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Off to Zimbabwe

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hi folks. I’m just heading off to Zimbabwe for 2-3 weeks so hopefully can give you a heads up on latest development in the land of Uncle Bob and his unsavoury cronies when I get back.

ROB
      Keymaster

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Things in the media seemed to go a bit quiet on this front.

Did people suddenly stop being hungry?

Now in Harare and planning a field trip down south to the border area with South Africa next week for about 5 days.
      Quite a change though noticeable here in Harare from my last visit 2 years ago. With the dollarisation of the economy inflation is gone, prices have normalised and the shops are well stocked. However in the rural areas where USD or the SA Rand (now both official currencies) are in short supply, people have reverted to a barter economy to survive.
      The environment then seems considerably relaxed compared to my last visit. Still huge numbers of people out of work, still dark mutterings but also a degree of hope that maybe the worst has past.
      Anyway I will see the realities in the countryside next week and let you know how it looks. They had a good harvest last year so the worst of the hunger has past and it is raining hard now, so maybe this year will be OK too.

ROB
      Keymaster

It’s good to hear that they have at least got the currency thing under control. Still sad when the entire future relies on the weather though.

Any and all continued updates appreciated!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Vince, even if it is getting better, a few photographs of dead cattle, skeletal old men and children with pot-bellies and flies around the mouth will do wonders for our ratings.

If the news is good, then keep it to yourself man!

;o)

Cynical bugger Lee! Very relieved (coming from the NGO side) that things are improving here. No way they are back to ‘normal’ yet whatever that is but at least there is a reliable currency (or two) in circulation, food in the shops and decent rains.
      As the Holy Man on the cross (Eric Idle) said “Always look on the bright side of life”

Back in the Uk now and will be writing up something for you after the Christmas break. Watch this space!

ROB
      Keymaster

Looking forward to this one. The topic is basically lost any media coverage whatsoever here over the last 6 months.

flipflop

Come on, Tiger Woods’ little fella is wayyyyy more important, and X-Factor was rather fruity this year.

Africa? Fuck that

Pass the ketchup….

rickshaw92
      Participant

@Wild in Africa wrote:

Back in the Uk now and will be writing up something for you after the Christmas break. Watch this space!

pics would be nice.

Bit delayed getting this out folks. Been in Ireland and now back with a heavy cold and my oldest down with Chicken Pox so too many other distractions before I sit down to write but will get something out shortly.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

You’re a good man, Vince… Whatever anyone else says.

:D

Who is this Anyone Else and would he like to step outside to sort this out mano a mano?

Sweet, try one of those Liquor in a Ketchup Pack thingy’s and tell me how it is

~James

rickshaw92
      Participant

@jamesintheworld wrote:

Sweet, try one of those Liquor in a Ketchup Pack thingy’s and tell me how it is

~James

Nasty stuff. Even I wont go back there.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.