North Caucasus.

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble North Caucasus.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I am flying into Nazran on the 14th of August.Depending on some minor technicalities.
      will be in the area for a week or so.Then,Georgia-Nargano Karabakh.(also depending on the current military operations in certain parts of Georgia.
      Abkhazia for some sun bathing ,if i can be bothered arseing about with the Abkhaz interior ministry.
      Then,train down to Baku Azerbaijan.And if i get time,Iran – also depeding on wether Iran hasnt been nuked by Israel by then.in which case,you obviously wont be hearing from me.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Go well old chap.

We’ll see you on the flip side.

Stiv

I’d say I’d be interested in seeing some photos but won’t that be akin to waiting for the next solar eclipse?

:)

~Stiv

I dont think ill be able to post photographs on the move.Internet connection in some of these places is poor.But i will try.
      .rest assured,,I will post up some images when i get back.

Stiv

@lightstalker wrote:

I dont think ill be able to post photographs on the move.Internet connection in some of these places is poor.But i will try.
      .rest assured,,I will post up some images when i get back.

No problem. Understood, I just thought I would be remiss not to mention it as I always enjoy seeing other folks stuff.

Have fun and try not to poison yourself this time.

Best,
      Stiv

Gyppo

Yeah, try not to hijack the toilet this time.
      :-)

nick

Nice, have fun. Want to get out that way myself. Looking forward to the images.

BTW, I had a horrendous flight from Kunming to Shanghai…. rice whiskey. That stuff is horrible. Tastes like bleach eh Stiv?

Stiv

@nick wrote:

Nice, have fun. Want to get out that way myself. Looking forward to the images.

BTW, I had a horrendous flight from Kunming to Shanghai…. rice whiskey. That stuff is horrible. Tastes like bleach eh Stiv?

:lol:

To say the least I just about killed a local bartending gal with that stuff. It was in one of those squirt bottles and she just grabbed it from me and squirted a good shot in her mouth. Wretched and gagged for about 30 minutes and mummbled how she was angry I didn’t warn her. She thought it was s port drink !!?:twisted:

The stuff I got in a Shanghai version of a 7-11 were about a buck for a 160z plastic botlle full.

Nasty!

My GF and I have been duking it out about our next juant. I’d love to go back, but she wants to go somewhere else, I’m also trying to hype Borneo.

China and India are about the only places that after I left I felt like for all I did and saw it was a speck of what it is.

God speed LS, hope you’re well nick.

Best,
      Stiv

Gyppo

And watch out for the Caucasians. They’re everywhere.

I will be in Ingushetia,Chechnya and Karbadino Balkaria to do some bootleg vodka tasting for the first week or so, then onto Baku.

Cheers,

nick

Sounds like that’ll be an awesome trip LS. My uncle works in Baku on the oil rigs. Says the mafia lives in the appt below him. Was telling me that he’s walking into his appt one day and the mafia is walking out with machetes. So I tell him he should have them over for some vodka.

I feel the same way about China. You need months there just to see it all. Even a month is whirlwind.

Everything here is excellent. Going back to Haiti in Sept.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@nick wrote:

My uncle works in Baku on the oil rigs.

There’s an adventure for the taking if ever there was one.
      You wanna get your arse out there for a couple of weeks for a few pictures of the rig workers going about their business.

And try and make friends with your uncle’s neighbors while you’re there. Line yourself up another adventure for the next time you visit.

8)

nick

oh yeh, without question I will be out there sometime soon. I really want to go. Badly.

I tried to get a job on the rigs but they will only hire nationals, which is a good thing. Good money and excellent acess to the region.

Well if youre uncle works out there you should go.

One of the maddest things to see in Baku is the huge offshore oil platform east of Baku- Neft Daslari which means “oily rocks” in Azeri’.

It is a huge 200 kilometre network of platforms and gangways that sits on stilts ,miles out to sea on the Caspian.
      The 5000 inhabitants of this late Stalanist structure are all male.
      I may be able to get access but apparently its quite hard and you need a permit.
      There is a boat that takes 3 hours to get out there.

The enviromental costs are catastrpohic.Some parts of Azerbaijan look like something out of a Mad Max film.

I want to get out to Artyom Island this time.The postapocalyptic scenery is amazing.

nick

Awesome. I hope you get what you need.

Thanks for the info. I will talk to my uncle about that. Keep us updated on where you’re at.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.