Mac or PC?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Mac or PC?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

What do you guys use?

I am a PC user, but am thinking of switching to TOTALLY mac – computer, laptop, iPad and iPhone.

It’s the integration that attracts me and as I am starting to take photography more and more serilously, the Mac seems to be the weapon of choice for most photogs/graphic artist type people.

Plus stuff like the mac AirPort and tvport seem to make integration of everything SO much easier.

Then again, maybe I am just buying into the bullshit.

Chimborazo

I use and like both. I think for what you want to do, you might enjoy the Mac more, but you might be going overboard with the iPad. The nice think about the Mac is that you can probably do a lot of that stuff out of the box without having to purchase much outside of Photoshop or whatever you use. That being said, I don’t do much outside of MS Office and web browsing (most of what I do is remotely accessing servers).

ROB
      Keymaster

Yeah, I may or may not add the iPad to that collection, but the Airport and those mac ports to put everything on your TV give me a boner.

I dunnno – my PC is playing up and giving me the shits and I just want something that works.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I made the switch from PC to MAC at Christmas. My PC was slow and full of glitches. Updates were running continuously and it just seemed that working on the computer had become a chore.

… So I bought the iMAC27 with Snow Leopard, along with a copy of MS Office, and the extended Adobe CS3 package.

The improvement was instantaneous: The MAC booted from cold in just 30 secs (instead of 5 mins). Everything just worked. New software installed, and now when I click on something, it happens straight away, and not after three minutes of thinking about it. I needed to call Apple support a few times to help me out while I came to terms with MAC OSX, and they were everything a support team should be: Fast, responsive, knowledgable, courteous.

My first impression of MACs was such that within three weeks I threw out my PC laptop and bought a Macbook Pro13.

I just pray for the day that the industry I work in starts using MACs for the workforce. My work laptop is so shit that it probably loses me somewhere between 10%-20% productivity.

ROB
      Keymaster

Yeah – I think this might have sold it for me.

What do you guys think of the default photo management software on Mac? Is it ok for workflow? I was thinking of getting LightRoom.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

It’s OK, but lightroom would be better.
      I use Adobe Bridge, which is also very handy as it links nicely into Camera Raw for initial image tweaking.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

those mac ports to put everything on your TV…

Apple TV has revolutionised the way we watch films in our house. No need to buy DVDs anymore, just browse the iTunes Store on your TV and buy or rent films from there.
      And with a nifty little programme, called iSkySoft, which costs around $25USD, you can rip your existing DVD collection to Apple TV format too. For this reason, don’t cut costs on your disk space. 1Tb should be your aim if possible, as then you won’t find yourself running out of space a year or two down the line.

ROB
      Keymaster

Was in at the Mac store today. The AppleTv did look awesome – it just all fits together so simply.

Have you calibrated your screen for photoshop etc?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

The Apple TV, like everything else from Apple, just worked.
      I bought it after first having tried a box from NetGear. After months of arseing around with that and never really getting it to work, I took it back, exchanged it for Apple TV and was up and running within the hour.

Do you mean calibrated the iMAC screen for the colour representation?

I have done it by eye, using the built in uility. One day I might get round to buying one of those gadgets that you hang in front of the screen.

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok – you sold it for me – my laptop shat itself today – now I have 5 laptops in a pile in the corner of my loungeroom. Pieces of shit.

I am writing this from my new 27 inch iMac.

Loving it, but about to fire up some photography stuff!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

I am writing this from my new 27 inch iMac.

Good for you, mate.

ROB
      Keymaster

Thing is your avatar is HUGE! Never realised what an ugly bastard you were! ;)

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I find it comfortably reassuring that you do not find me attractive.

:mrgreen:

ROB
      Keymaster

Ok, there is this sound. I won’t be doing anything on my iMac and then there is this sound like a water drop (but deeper)

Any ideas?

Penta

Have you got Skype on it? Your description sounds like the noise it makes when one of your contacts is logging on.

ROB
      Keymaster

Ahhh – that makes sense – thanks. Was bugging the shit out of me.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.