Laos or Myanmar???

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Laos or Myanmar???

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey Guys,

I’m planning a trip over to see Angkor Wat, and I’ll have about 3 weeks so i was debating either Laos or Myanmar. I actually will have a few bucks in my pocket for this so local airfare is not an issue.

As I recall Rob said the French colonial acrhitecture in Myanmar is supposed to be some of the best preserved around (Since they have no money to build anything new)

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
      Eli

Anonymous

French colonial? Shouldn’t that be british in Burma? Burma is nice i hear but not always so easy to travel as you want. But I’m not so familiar with it, have only been there for visaruns.

If you have the time, see more of cambodia than just siem reap/Ankor wat.
      Whatever you do, if you have money, don’t take the bus over the border between Thailand-Siem reap, That’s a trip you can be without.
      The road between Siem reap and Phnom Phen is good, no point taking the boat anymore.

Jimbo
      Participant

Don’t listen to Livelife, he was probably drunk when he wrote the above post, by all means go to Burma (a/k/a Myanmar) it”s bigger, bolder and badder than ever, actually if you grove on ancient temples and stuff (since you’re to going Angkor Wat anyway) then Bagan in Burma would be a cool place to stay in, many old temples, wats, stupas etc. to keep you occupied all day so by the time evening rolls around you’ll be ready to slake your thirst with the local brew, which is quite tasty, much better than the godawful brew Thailand produces….if you do go to Burma, a word to the wise guy….DON’T TALK LOCAL POLITICS WITH ANYONE…. in spite of the situation there it’s still a very cool country….enjoy

ROB
      Keymaster

For your safety or theirs?

Jimbo
      Participant

Their safety naturally, I allready know the place is safe,so I feel safe. However Rob I was hoping to go back to Burma in the spring of next year and part of my travel plan included going north from Kachin state down into Lashio in Shan state but by doing that I would have to go through drug country, I was planning to bribe them with vegemite……

Anonymous

we will be talking about that jimbo, in a couple of months

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.