Lake Nyos (death count: 1.700)

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Lake Nyos (death count: 1.700)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      sjoerd_v

Lac Nyos, Cameroon

About going where you ain’t supposed to. Lake Nyos is currently a potentially lethal place, although french scientists are currently trying degassing it. As I understand a repetition of the 86 drama is still a genuine thread (they have a solar powered siren in place, being africa, Im not shure its operational).

If you deceide to go there you have to traverse the northern section of the ringroad. I found out the hard way that the section between Kimbi and Lac Nyos is as good as non-existant. I got through though with my Land Rover, but you can avoid this by approching Lac Nyos from the west. You can sleep for free at the military base at the lake..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

This is my first post to the Polo’s Bastards site. I found this site after reading the Congo guide by Sean R. I dramatized the picture a little to reflect the death toll.
      Please let me know what you think of it (it’s not my best picture by far, but I found it fitting for Polo’s Bastards)

Greetings from the Republic of Congo, where I am about to order my next Primus..
      Sjoerd

ROB
      Keymaster

Great stuff.

I have only read about that place – from what I understand the weight of the water keeps a pocket of carbon dioxide at the bottom of the lake (which is emitted from volcanic activity). But when teh pocket becomes large enough it bubles to the surface and basically puts everyone to sleep.

Am surprised they haven’t made an action flick with this plot, but I guess that everyone going to sleep doesn’t make for awesome tv.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@sjoerd_v wrote:

I am about to order my next Primus..
      Sjoerd

Now you have my attention!

flipflop

Welcome to the board mate, looking forward to you posting a lot of good photographic stuff

Cheers!

sjoerd_v

unfortunatly the guards who threw me in prison in Lubumbashi didn’t let me take photographs of my cell, that would have been interesting material… (don’t mess with the ANR secret service in the DRC, its not worth it)..

i now traded my primus for zambian Mosi, which is less great, since its smaller at 375ml.. :)

I’ll order my next Mosi and have a look in my photo database of africa so far, maybe there is something interesting there…

see ya..

ROB
      Keymaster

Meh, it’s a shame cameras cannot convey smell.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.