Jerky anyone?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Jerky anyone?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Any of you found any unique jerky-making recipes in your travels? Or just one of your personal favorites? (Before Jefe responds, I’d like to say I’m interested in the more mainstream meats-beef, deer, etc. Not too wild about short-tailed red squirrell, yellow-specked anteater or whatever else has had the misfortune of being in front of his sights.)

Luke

South African “biltong” is usually the best. Any game animal.

I like Australian stuff…emu, kangaroo, that kind of thing. Popular in S. America?

spamhog

The locals here make several types (all of which I can’t stand) mostly from dried salted fish, dried in the sun, heavily salted and then smothered in garlic and dried somemore. you can smell it a mile away. The worst is called “Balili”, it is supposed to age for a few months to be appreciated. nothing worst than smelling it in the morning bering deep fried some more in corn oil and onions after a hard night. I do like octopus thats been “jerked” and have had the garlic left out, quite tasty actually.

Spamhog

ROB
      Keymaster

In Japan, they will “jerkify” just about anything that comes out of the ocean. Very tasty too. I still haven’t met a piece of jerky I didn’t like, but I will continue the quest…. purely for sceientific reasons you understand.

Stangely enough I have never tried Kangaroo jerky. I am sure it woudl be pretty good.

Kurt
      Participant

My favorites have always been beef and venison. I would guess that jerky is also probably one of the oldest styles of food next to roast meat on a stick that humans enjoy.

The only kind of recipe that I know of is more of a “secret” and that is to use either canning salt or bulk sea salt (with no anti-caking agents) to cure the meat.

The only meat that I heard of that cannot be “jerked” is bear meat. Apparently it is too fatty to dry, but I might be wrong on this too (Jefe?)

What are you using to make it? A dehydrator? Oven? Clothesline in the sun?

I’m using an American Harvest dehydrator that I just got for about $30. I’m experimenting with different recipes for jerky, trying to find the best one. Doing all this in an effort to save some money preparing my food for an upcoming AT hike in March.

Most recipes I have seem to be either teriyaki or salt/pepper based. I was wondering what else was out there.

Anonymous

I like the reindeer stuff that the sammi do. But the reciept, you have to give that mission to Lee.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I think you mean recipe.

Yeah, I got some of that stuff at Arvidsjaur airport last weekend. Its a mixture of reindeer and moose.

Not bad.
      Should have offered you some LL when we had that beer. Sorry.

Anonymous

@Lee wrote:

I think you mean recipe.

Yeah, I got some of that stuff at Arvidsjaur airport last weekend. Its a mixture of reindeer and moose.

Not bad.
      Should have offered you some LL when we had that beer. Sorry.

Jaja, what ever. you should anyway learn a proper language. I will e-mail A-jaur about that.

Haven’t had the reindeer/moose mixture. Only pure reindeer.
      We take it next time, whenever that is…… I fly out on sunday.

Jefe
      Participant

In two weeks or so, I am having 1kilo of biltong of different South African animals turned into jerky from some of my friends. They are South African and have had american jerky and say its shit compared to biltong.

I will email you and let you know what return address to expect and I have the other stuff you wanted. I can’t mail it until I get out of here and R&R (I&I-Intercourse and Intoxication) in a little over a week!

Seriously though, squirrell is good meat and while they are too small to make jerky out of, they are great for stews.

Take care and I will let you knwo when its on its way.

Jefe
      Participant

Drinking beer listening to Elvis’s “In the Ghetto” but the South Africans are singing “In Sowetto!”

Did I mention that Spotted Owl tastes like chicken?

….you’re the man!

Jefe
      Participant

Pure VT Maple syrup (dark) and soy sauce 50% mix to marinate it for a couple of days before you dry it is truly outstanding with Canadian Snow Geese.

Course they havent been in season for a while, but sometimes the just die somehow anyways. Must be heart attacks in mid flight from loud noises on the ground!

rickshaw92
      Participant

I guess I will have to give it a try.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.