It’s Settled

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble It’s Settled

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

The contracts are signed, the advance is in the bank; I’m now tasked with the not-so-menial task of writing the Bradt Guide to the Congos.

It’ll be fun.

ROB
      Keymaster

Next stop is that gig for the Guardian!

Congrats SRR

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Well done SRR,

In many ways I envy you, but in some ways I don’t.
      That’s going to be a huge undertaking, I imagine, taking you into some pretty uncomfortable and remote places.

Is there a deadline for completion?

Yup, I got one year. I’m off to Congo-Brazzaville at the end of the month and will be watching how the elections transpire in the DR Congo as I go around the somewhat more stable “other” Congo…. if the elections go off at all, they’ve already been delayed once.

Without going into too much detail, let’s say it’ll be interesting. I’m not a newbie to the region by any stretch though – I shouldn’t have to waste too much time fumbling about. But as they say at the BC lottery corporation – hey, you never know!

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

You got any plans to go and meet the Mai Mai at all?

I met them back in 2003 – nobody cared by the way. So no, not really.

Unless they’re running bus tours throughout northeast Katanga.

Stiv

Congrats!

I want an autographed copy and by that I mean one with a .45 round right through the middle.

Best,
      Stiv

Excelent.Good on you SRR.

Ill look forward to reading it.Make sure you include a “where to pick up good Poonani”

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

In Congo?

You lunatic! Your bell-end would be fizzing with filovirus.

DrDave
      Participant

Congrats, make it good

I’m jealous!

Oh I should mention that there is advertising space available within the book.

Prices are quite reasonable normally, but for my close friends at Polo’s Bastards I’ll gladly only charge triple the normal price! :o

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Charitable to the last, SRR. :lol:

Can you include a few sub-level, sub-concsious suggestions within your prose, that people might rush home and login to PBs and submit carefully worded articles to me for publication.

All part of our plans for world domination. MWAHHHAAA HAAA HAAA.

Seriously, though… I know Hilary is a bit of a closet bastard, do you think she’d permit a mention of us somehwere in the book?

:)

I believe it’s largely up to me, and then the editor, what ultimately appears in print.

Therefore all beer money should be forwarded my way, and random gifts of goodwill sent their way. I do believe you’re located close enough by to do a few afternoon guitar serenades at their window, aren’t you?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

They are indeed just a stone’s throw away (about 20 minute’s drive), so I really should drop in on the off-chance one day and suggest we “do lunch”

8)

Just remember – You’re buying.

: :wink:

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Sean, I take it that you rake in more cash the more books are sold?
      If that’s the case, I think a “you-scratch-our-back-we-scratch-yours” book review, loaded with encouragement to “go out and buy” may be the order of the day.

Heh heh heh.

We couldn’t possible behave in such a corrupt way. Perish the thought!

:wink:

I was planning on writing my own book review here. (Or maybe that guy Dean Farisian will)

I’m planning on breaking a new record for using the phrase “Fantastically Rapturous Insight” the most number of times in one article.

:lol:

Stiv

I think a “you-scratch

Whew for a second I almost thought “Scratch and sniff” was going to be involved.

Best,
      Stiv

Looks like I found some excellent advice on how to write a guidebook from a familiar source:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0410/excerpt7.html

After all, he’s never wrong!

nick

that’s awesome SRR. congrats you bastard.

missy

i am still waiting for your magnum opus on ” how to fight your way out of a paper bag”.

i know i would enjoy reading anything you write.

Did I mention the release date will be the first quarter of 2008? Therefore, please delay all of your planned DRC trips until then so you can buy the book. Thank you.

ROB
      Keymaster

why so long? Is that how long it usually takes or did they have to make allowances for the monkey/typewriter thing?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I’ve edited SRR’s work before and trust me, 2008 is impressive going!
      They’ll have a team of editors on that 24/7 to hit that deadline.

:wink:

I’m having the book ghost-written by Meighon, therefore it will take a little longer to decipher. ;)

Actually my deadline is in six months or so, and then the other types need six months to figure out all the maps, advertisements, photos, and other stuff. The lead time on these things is pretty long despite the time-sensitive nature of the thing, so I need to double check everything before it runs out the door…. and not include anything too volatile, and factor in how Lee is going to screw up all of eastern Congo with his visit next year. ;)

ROB
      Keymaster

I am imagining it is as a result of your involvement, but I notice that Hillary Bradt has been mentioning PBs quite a lot of late at different travel gatherings and conferences.

DrDave
      Participant

Does that mean we have to behave now?

I’ve got a standing offer to do a second edition, but have to wait until the rest of my life is settled to groove into that. If any of y’all wanna do it in my place, your name can go on the front cover…. below mine. ;)

It won’t be easy, either. I’d say a full month doing Goma-Pointe Noire, minimum. Bring cash.

how soon can you get it done? That’s definitely in my togo list. :D

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.