How’s your team doing in the world cup?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble How’s your team doing in the world cup?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

Mine just got bundled out.

Got destroyed by Germany, draw with Ghana and a win over serbia.

First game was terrible. Totally defensive mindset.

Second and third were much better.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

England went through after scraping a 1-0 win against Slovenia. Could only draw against the US and Algeria, so they were getting a pounding from the press and fans alike.

The German win against Ghana in your group, Rob, means that England will face Germany on Sunday.
      That’s a huge game for us. Germany always is.

Just don’t mention the war.

World Cup?

North Korea has done better at the world cup throughout history over Canada – they’ve actually qualified more than once and scored a goal!

rickshaw92
      Participant

Soccer is gay and will continue to be gay untill the players stop playing and start fighting like proper athletes. Some ice and some sticks woild help.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@rickshaw92 wrote:

Soccer is gay

Calling it “soccer” is more gay.

flipflop

The Aussies were good value I thought, NZ are an even bigger surprise.

I put £5 on Ghana to win the WC before a ball was kicked at 80-1, nothing I’ve seen so far tells me they aren’t good enough to go the distance. Pele once said it’s only a matter of time until an African team wins it, and apart from Ghana the rest were absolute shite, I picked the right Afro team for sure.

flipflop

@rickshaw92 wrote:

Soccer is gay and will continue to be gay untill the players stop playing and start fighting like proper athletes. Some ice and some sticks woild help.

Speaking as a seasoned football nut of many years I can safely say that the spectacle of 22 men kicking a bit of leather around a grass pitch is about 10% of the essence of “Football”. It is a calling, a way of life, some people in the UK are defined by their love of football; it’s more deeply ingrained than almost anything else for a great many working class British people, as it is around the world. The actual game is just one part of the whole culture.

Bill Shankly:

“Someone said to me ‘To you football is a matter of life or death!’ and I said ‘Listen, it’s much more important than that’.”

rickshaw92
      Participant

If the match is only10% whats the other 90%? Binge drinking?

flipflop

24/7 – lock, stock, the fucking lot

ROB
      Keymaster

To me, a game is a game and pretty much dependent on culture. Where I was brought up, it was league. The greatest league player of all time was from my suburb. The only place I have really seen similar entrenchment of a game in culture was in England with football.

If you ebrought a stick to a rugby league game in Australia, the league players would call you gay too. ;)

ROB
      Keymaster

Wow, England got hammered by Germany.

It’s disappointing how much of an effect the refs have on the games this tournament. It’s a reason the game won’t ever take off in second tier countries.

Stiv

Between the officiating and watching all these drama queens taking dives and then rolling about grimacing like someone just shanked them in the ribs, it’s a shame because I really love to watch these games.

It amazes me that the Vuvuzelas seem to get FIFA’s attention but this other stuff is a collective “meh” to them. “That’s just the nature of the game” is a lame rational, especially given the limited nature of the event. No question in my mind that next time around there needs to be video review, lord knows where technology will be 4 years from now!!

Best,
      Stiv

flipflop

Blame Sepp Blatter for everything, he is a cunt

It’s getting interesting now that the chaff (England etc) is getting discarded

Chimborazo

@flipflop wrote:

I put £5 on Ghana to win the WC before a ball was kicked at 80-1, nothing I’ve seen so far tells me they aren’t good enough to go the distance.

I hope you’re right.

Stiv

Well I guess we now know the answer to that question…

Any Spaniards or Netherlanders hanging around these parts???

El-Stiv

Penta

@Stiv wrote:

Any Spaniards or Netherlanders hanging around these parts???

Not quite, Stiv. But happy days nonetheless. ;)

ROB
      Keymaster

Was surprised to hear that Spain had never actually won the thing.

Stiv

@ROB wrote:

Was surprised to hear that Spain had never actually won the thing.

Yes it was, I’m happy though that at least this go around it will be a first time team whomever comes out on top.

I’m rooting for the Netherlands though I think the Spanish will more than likely prevail hopefully it will be a good close game that doesn’t end in penalty kicks (my Yankee predispositions are showing I’m sure) or something stupid like a missed call.

Go Germany for 3rd place!

I REALLY enjoyed the tourney this year, a good friend of mine who visits me regularly is very glad it’s over simply because of having to listen to the vuvuzelas. He found them unbearable but they honestly didn’t bother me at all…

Best,
      Stiv

RiverRat

Well, as of Saturday evening Germany has secured Third Place and I have received many, many, good recipes for octopus, not the least of which is a good Peruvian ceviche recipe.

ROB
      Keymaster

Do share!

Back home we sometimes go out and get a bunch of live squid which make for an excellent cook up.

flipflop

Tense old game that – Spain deserved it, I wanted Holland to win initially but their tactics – kick everything that moves and isn’t orange – were awful.

No more football for me until……next Sunday – I’m off to Portugal to watch the Albion play a couple of pre-season warm up games.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Arjen Robben looked like a little orange penis.

flipflop

He was acting like a cock

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.