Gordon Brown’s Biggot Remark

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Gordon Brown’s Biggot Remark

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

Seems to me it’s the first time he’s spoken the truth for quite some time.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

That’s the point… He wasn’t speaking the truth. Nothing the woman said was bigoted.

What he did do, though, was demonstrate that he does not speak his mind.
      He cannot now wriggle out of the fact that what he says to your face, and what he says behind your back are two different things.

He’s an idiot. I hate him.

ROB
      Keymaster

@Lee wrote:

Nothing the woman said was bigoted.

Bullshit.

Agree with the rest though.

flipflop

White?
      check
      Working Class?
      check
      Lifelong Labour voter?
      check
      Northern?
      check
      Pensioner?
      check
      Live close to recent immigrants?
      check
      Speak your own mind?
      check

Gordon hates you

Make sure you turn all the lights out when you leave Numbah 10 next week, there’s a good chap :wink:

ROB
      Keymaster

Oh yeah, he’s gonna get destroyed.

Our PM is an equally unlikeable guy, but at least seems to have the smarts to pretend to be decent (it comes accross as fake, but at least he tries). It’s like Brown just doesn’t give a shit and has total contempt.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

@Lee wrote:

Bullshit.

Oh, go on then, do tell us what she said that labels her a bigot.

flipflop

One man’s bigot is another man’s….

Some apologist for Brown said online that her use of the words “where are they (east European immigrants) all flocking from?” made her comments bigoted. The allusion to the outsiders in animal terms, and the suggestion of flocks or herds of them moving in to graze on the home soil – at the expense of the home flock -is classical bigoted fayre.The underlying premise is immigrants = animals.

I didn’t find her question offensive, but then I don’t find many things offensive. As for it being bigoted, that’s a matter for personal taste. In her defence, she is of a certain generation, it’s hard to indoctrinate the old folk into the ways of political correctness, that’s why I have so much time for them. She spoke her mind and Brown shat on her for it, to his eternal regret.

BTW my ballot paper is in the bin, there’s nothing I see in my constituency that I would want to support with my valuable vote – Hove will be a close run thing, and the Greens could win their first parliamentary seat in Brighton.

ROB
      Keymaster

@Lee wrote:

@ROB wrote:

@Lee wrote:

Bullshit.

Oh, go on then, do tell us what she said that labels her a bigot.

What FF said.

You’re letting your hatred of Brown cloud your judgement if you can’t see that one.

ROB
      Keymaster

@FF – probably worth voting, even if it’s just against the incumbent.

I very rarely vote for the incumbent govt. (In fact I don’t think I ever have). I don’t see that changing at the next election.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

You’re letting your hatred of Brown cloud your judgement if you can’t see that one.

You’re talking rubbish. I do despise Brown, correct, but I equally despise many other things: Pikeys, chavs, and yes, racists.
      Nothing this woman said was offensive, nor intended to be.

She asked a straight and fair question that a massive population of Britain is also asking. Brown cannot take criticism of any kind; he’s proven that time and again, and on this occasion, he wasn’t listening to what Mrs Duffy was saying and simply got it totally wrong.

On the debate last night, he acted like an immature schoolchild, laughing and smirking everytime the opposition said something that he didn’t like. He also finished his final speech with that ridiculous, stupid, punch-me-in-the-face grin.
      Wanker.

flipflop

@ROB wrote:

@FF – probably worth voting, even if it’s just against the incumbent.

Nah, when needs demand a hard hat and a few molotovs then I’m participating. I would only vote for the UK Libertarian Party, when they stand here I’d even canvass for them.

rickshaw92
      Participant

I dont meet to many British people cos I live in London but the ones I do meet all seem to wanna know whats up with all the Eastern Europeans and why are they bein let in? The Eastern Europeans are like the Mexicans of Europe cept the British like gardening and there are only so many dishes that need washin.

ROB
      Keymaster

@Lee wrote:

@ROB wrote:

You’re talking rubbish. I do despise Brown, correct, but I equally despise many other things: Pikeys, chavs, and yes, racists.
      Nothing this woman said was offensive, nor intended to be.

C’mon mate, even FlipFlop saw that one and he’s more or less on your side on this one.

I dont meet to many British people cos I live in London but the ones I do meet all seem to wanna know whats up with all the Eastern Europeans and why are they bein let in? The Eastern Europeans are like the Mexicans of Europe cept the British like gardening and there are only so many dishes that need washin.

You’re right, it’s generally unpopular to let in foreigners – England, US, hell even down here in Australia where 7 brown folks on a boat is considered an invasion. Problem is that the arguments (eg they steal our jobs) rarely hold up to even rudimentary challenge. Most economists concede that reasonable population influxes actually increase relative economic activity and employment and have few consequences regarding unemployment – especially beyond the short term.

Here are a few academic studies:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713691806&db=all
      http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a713758944&db=all
      http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=969086
      http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119505682/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

And here’s a piece of anecdotal evidence.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article7038352.ece

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

C’mon mate, even FlipFlop saw that one and he’s more or less on your side on this one.

Search on you tube for “Gordon Brown vs Gillian Duffy ( Full Story )” and you’ll see the whole conversation that Brown had with Gillian Duffy. There is nothing in slightest offensive about her line of questioning. She comes across as a regular, hard-working, tax-paying pensioner, with a history of working for the council, and with children, and who now has genuine concerns about the state of the economy and the education system and how it might affect her own grandchildren.

On the subject of eastern Europeans, she asks very sincerely where they’re all flocking from. There is nothing derisory in her manner about foreigners, just genuine concern that the influx is having a impact that is affecting her and her own. This is a view that is shared by millions of ordinary people in the UK, and it does not make them bigots. And by calling Duffy a bigot, Gordon Brown unwittingly illustrated that he does not empathise with those millions of voters that share Duffy’s concerns.

The reason Brown reacted to her the way he did had nothing to do with that part of the exchange, though; it was all to do with the berating she gave him over the economy and how she said she’s ashamed to call herself labour, now. Brown is notorious for not being able to handle criticism and this has captured that character flaw perfectly.

Just look at the smarmy grin he wears when he faces to press immediately after apologising to Mrs Duffy in person. Does that look like a man who has any remorse? I believe it shows that he is more concerned about saving face and hence just trying to laugh it off in the misguided hope that everyone else will just chortle and say, what a hoot.

There is good reason why he is trailing so far behind now in the opinion polls. Mark my words, whatever happens next week, Brown will no longer be the leader of the labour party. They will kick him out immediately for the damage he has done.

And he’ll still face the cameras with that stupid grin. Deplorable man.

flipflop

I can’t see him raising that nonce “smile” in a few days time

ROB
      Keymaster

I have seen the video.

In fact when I watched it with my GF on the news, we both said “she WAS a bigot” at exactly the same time.

Brown might be an asshole, but he was right as hell on that one.

Penta

Since I’m on, I might add that Gillian Duffy was apparently more upset that Brown called her “that woman” (she’d have preferred “lady”) than “sort of bigoted”. Which is peculiar.

@Lee wrote:

He’s an idiot. I hate him.

All politicians are idiots

~James

I understand that sentiment, but I don’t see either Cameron or Clegg as idiots. They’re both very switched on people, with excellent personal skills and an ability to engage their public. And Tony Blair was (and is) far from being an idiot, I think, so this isn’t a partisan thing. I don’t have the vocabulary to descibe my contempt for Brown. It’s his open insincerity that makes me feel that strong. The other politicians at least have the ability to conceal it.

As for the whole bigot debate; I think too many people go looking for offense where none is intended. Mrs Duffy has her views and they are shared by millions. She is not a bigot; Nick Griffin is. There is a world between them.
      For the record, the foreign population of the UK causes me little or no concern, and in fact very much helps to expose the lazy, workshy “English” layabouts that moan about the Polish taking all their jobs, though they themselves could never turn in a day’s work to match, anyway.

Perhaps “idiot” isn’t the best word for Brown. It’s more a word that perfectly describes George W Bush.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.