Get your nails done, Mr Rorison sir?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Get your nails done, Mr Rorison sir?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Kinshasa’s booming street manicure industry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/06/africa_dr_congo0s_street_manicurists/html/1.stm

Across Africa, the Congolese have a reputation as being sharp dressers and paying a lot of attention to how they look.

I never heard that before.

Something worth mentioning in your book, Sean?

8)

Appearance is an absolutely critical part of any Congolese’s life, on either side of the river. It is estimated that your average Congolees will spend 50% of their income on clothing, shoes, manicures, pedicures, whatever. Men as well as women. People dress super smart; it’s always depressing to land in a place like Nairobi and see all these anglo slobs oozing their fat out of some shitty chinese pants when someone who makes 1% of what they make can dress up mighty fine.

And that goes for the fat people too. Everyone knows how to accentuate what they got and hide what they don’t got. If you look closely, about half of the women wear wigs.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Right. If I ever go to Kinshasa, I’ll make sure to pack the tux and bowtie.

rickshaw92
      Participant

when someone who makes 1% of what they make can dress up mighty fine.

Have you ever bought any of the finer clothing in Africa? I allways found it kinda neat that one could walk down the street and find guys selling pants by the side of the road. And one things for sure, as fucked as Africa might be thay sure do dress well.

Guys selling coffins by the side of the road is kinda wierd too.

I always thought the British had it bad as far as dentestry was concerned until I saw roadside dentists in India :P

I heard that you can get really nice custom made leather jackets in Africa. True?

Kapa

For a nice price, I’m sure they could tailor
      you a special “straight-jacket” jimmy boy…..

ROB
      Keymaster

Do thet jackets rot in the heat?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.