First aid gear

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble First aid gear

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Medevac

Ok, following a good suggestion from Jefe, I was wondering what sort of first aid kits or equipment most of you carry when travelling. Just a bottle of tylenol for the hangovers, or a complete trauma kit?
      For me its a constant battle between travelling light and carrying everything I might conceivably use. Were it not for the luggage weight limits on airlines I might roll up with an entire ambulance strapped to my back.
      As a compromise I usually end up with a small sterile set for my own use if I end up in hospital, and a couple of ex-mil field dressings. And some saline solution.
      And a horde of anti-inflammatories.
      And some anti-histamines.
      And some anti-diarrheals…
      You get the idea.
      So what do the rest of you pack?

Foulplay

… Flying on Sunday.

I’ll be taking:

a sterile pack
      2 metres of bandage
      a dozen sticky plasteres
      a dozen sachets of rehydration/electrolyte replacement

Not much else besides.

I prefer to travel very light, so if I can fit everything including camera gear into hand luggage only, then I’m happy.

Bandages, band aids, foldable scissors, tape, long needle. Also added in a pair of latex gloves, athletic tape, and some sort of hydrogen peroxide mixture.

Often I just take band aids and Immodium, for short trips. Since I know I’m not usually going too far and am never in country for more than a week. If I’m there for over a week, or if I think I’ll be getting myself into trouble, the standard first aid kit comes along.

Since I know pretty much nothing about repairing my damaged body, my philosophy is basically to get it patched up decent enough that I can make it to the airport and get the hell out.

Kurt
      Participant

My trip to Haiti had most of my pack weight designated to stuff to help me not get sick…but I got dengue fever anyway. (probably from the DR though)

Aspirin & Ibuprofin
      Lomotil
      Pepto-Bismol (pink Bismouth)
      antacid
      powdered Gatorade (I wished I had brought more)
      anti-bacterial ointment
      bandages
      guauze tape
      Permethrin
      DEET stuff
      Sunblock
      a foot blister kit (most important, because when your feet go, you go with them)

I also pretty much only wear Georgia Steel toed work boots, because i am paranoid about my feet. I save the cheap tennis shoes for the hotel and bar. In Haiti the cars come so close to the pedestrians that it would be possible to have your foot driven over, and steel toes will limit the damage. On the other side of you is an open sewer…if a car, goat or woman with a basket on her head knocked you into a sewer,, you will be glad that you always walk around with antibiotic cream. I always slathered it on my feet every day before I stepped out.

My light first aid pack or what I refer to as my escape pack has the following:

2 Large field dressings with tie straps.
      2Ace gauze rolls
      Assorted gauze bandages with tape
      Butterfly strips (assorted sizes)
      pocket mask
      assort. airways
      assort. tubes
      q-tips
      Small bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
      Iodine Tablets
      Suture kit
      rounded Scissors
      Leatherman Multi-tool
      mini mag-lite
      Bic lighter
      candle
      pen & paper
      forceps
      tweezers
      Bottle Aspirin
      Botlle Tylenol
      Bottle Cipro
      Multi-Vitamins
      diahrea meds
      Hypos/syringes
      shot record
      $100 u.s in twenty dollar bills
      3 MREs (main Meals only without the box)
      handcuff key sewn into liner

all fits into a standard army issue fanny pack…about the size of a small luchbox, I dont go on trips without it.

rickshaw92
      Participant

I dont pack any of that stuff. Would a bottle of duty free booze count as a first aid kit?

spamhog

I usually carry anti biotics as in the tropics you are suseptable to infections from small cuts. Also alcohol, I usually swab my hands with it before eating and also to clean any cuts. I carry a first aide kit in my vehicle and boat with the usual stuff, but I consider large patch bandages the most important next to alcohol/swabs also small band aides.

Spamhog

kramer

Headache tabs
      Diarrhea stuff, incl my good sometime friend Norfloxacin
      Rehydration powder as well
      Syringes
      Wipes/gauze/bandages
      some chest infection antibiotics
      Hydrocortizone cream
      thermometer
      antiseptic powder

Other “survival” things

sw radio
      blow up cushion

Jefe
      Participant

This is pretty much what every soldier carries. Combat lifesavers and medics obviously carry more:

One bag of Ringers with the tubing, catheter etc., hooked up and ready to go. (hypovolemic and septic shock) hypovolemic meaning loss of blood. (not bad spelling for an old infantryman huh?)

Good for heat casualties too. One thing you don’t hear in the news about combat in deserts, jungles and other hot places is how many guys go down as heat casualties. Go figure with helmets, flak vests, 100 plus lbs of gear etc.

Gatorade powder (Good call Kurt). See above, and iodine makes the water difficult to drink. They now put Kool Aid in the MRE’s and whoever was responsible for that and the tobasco should get the next Nobel Peace prize.

Needle/lighter for draining blisters

Baby wipes. Can’t preach on them enuf.

Field dressings. I tape them over with blk electrical tape which really helps out alot as far as water seeping in thru the plastic covers etc.

Cravat

Iodine tabs for purifying water

Bug juice. Cutters is good.

bee sting kit (I am allergic to them)

Foot powder.

NOTE ON RINGERS:

On one patrol, we got in pretty bad shape dehydration wise and wound up drinking these. It was like putting a straw under somebodys armpit, but it helped out.

Kurt
      Participant

Yes , baby wipes are great. I used to pack those in my truck to wipe all the dust off of my face after a delivery.

For travel I pack Witch Hazel towelettes and I keep the dry ones to make my pack smell better and as emergency TP/Kleenex.

For hiking in colder climates I like to take along powederd instant “Jell-o” to mix with hot water and drink. Instant pudding would be good for this also. An excellent camping breakfast is a mug of hot Jello, powdered milk and granola or grape nuts…lots of calories and you get your fluids too.

I met a Swede once who always carried a can of pesticide with him for bed bugs. He had a hellish time in Pakistan when bed bugs bit both eyes shut and a local “Doctor” lanced his eyelids to relieve swelling so he could see.

Anonymous

I have a small pouch that I can have in my belt or the top pocket of my pack.

It contains:
      Field dressing
      tampoons
      desinfection wipes
      band aides (I think you call it)
      pocket mask
      rubber gloves
      imodium (was nice to have yesterday)
      pain killers
      Anti inflamatorial/pain killer
      Doxyferm or other medicin if neciessery
      Extra battery for my surefire (only because it’s easy to find in the dark)

In my pack do I have a bag with:
      2 sterile dressing/cleaning kit
      Alcohol or/and saline solution
      betadine
      twezeers
      Compeed
      Coach tape
      surgical tape
      Antibiotic cream
      lexinor/norfloxacin
      Mil. field dressings (no leakingproblems)
      Rubber gloves
      pocket mask
      Roll of bandage
      Roll of gauze
      And more of the same pills as in the pouch
      small tube of sunblok
      small tube of “skin cream” (soften the feet)
      termometer
      Baby powder
      “wet napkins”
      water purifier
      Salt
      Tiger balm
      mosquito reppelant

Is there anyone that have a REALLY good and fast treatment for “infantry fire”/a nasty rash in the ass????

Jefe
      Participant

Good point about the tampons, lots of guys carried those. Some even wore nylons to keep leeches off their legs, or at least that was their cover story!

I forgot to put down some type of signalling device, a red smoke grenade, signal mirror, or orange panel to guide in a medevac. We kept it as light as possible. The electrical tape around the field dressings even with their plastic covers is a good idea that you don’t see much if you are going to be off the roads etc. Don’t care wheter its got a plastic cover or not, it will get punctured, foul water etc., will get inside that “sterile dressing” and make a home. The tape will secure the dressing for months even in the worst environments.

Kurt; the jello stuff is great for cold weather and apparantly quite healthy for you although I never let that stop me.

We always used to joke with the medics about carrying:

leaches: to bleed the toxins out of the victim
      maggots: to clean off the infections.(apparantly, this has legit benefits)

Funny snake bite story. Guy got bit by a fer de lance and the medic is calming him down, i.e., don’t worry, choppers inbound with anti venom. You will be fine!

Medic leaves for a second to talk with the pilot and a greenhorn/gung ho Chaplain comes over and starts giving him his last rites! I guess everyone started laughing at the poor guy!

Talk about trying to keep his heartrate down! I don’t guess that went over as a textbook case on how to handle a snakebite.

And don’t forget your boilerplate Last Will & Testament, leaving all your wordly possessions to Jefe that you can sign if it really looks bad!

Kurt
      Participant

Leeches have a natural anti-septic, anti-coagulant in their saliva and are the best cure for those bruises that never go away when you bang your shin on a rock or stump while trying to pee in the woods at night. I guess they are also used in someplaces for re-attaching severed fingers to keep the blood flowing.

Maggots…I forget which kind only eats the dead skin, I think it is the larva of the common blue bottle fly, but just any maggot might leave you with maggots burrowing into your flesh and hatching flies out of your live skin at embarrasing moments. One Entomologist at Columbia university wrote about an “experiment ” he had done on him self and having a fly hatch from his forhead while out at a Yankee’s game. I also used maggots as bait while fishing in Romania and they worked great.

Anonymous

I have never worn nylons in any way, atleast not if the police asks me.
      But it’s good for getting that extra shine on your parade boots.

What kind of plastic cover has your dressings, Ours is in a real sturdy kind, suposebly also good to use for stomach wounds, keep the moist in, and other things that are suposed to stay there. But you should change them a couple times a year, riding around in your right leg pocket (standing order) can’t be to fun.
      I will remeber the electrical tape.

Jell-o? Is that good, what does it taste?
      I use to have, hot chocolade and soups. Canned liver pate and panzer crackers are also a good breakfast. But nothing that I would order in a resturant.

Kurt
      Participant

@LiveLife wrote:

Jell-o? Is that good, what does it taste?
      I use to have, hot chocolade and soups. Canned liver pate and panzer crackers are also a good breakfast. But nothing that I would order in a resturant.

Jello is instant gelatin or “jelly” in some places. Its cheap and full of calories. It comes in fruit flavors too.

SPAM (the meat) is good when you are really really hungry and gotta have “meat”. I prefer it cooked on a stick until almost burned.

Jefe
      Participant

The field dressings have a fair plastic cover, but if you live in the field as an infantryman, they don’t last more than a month before getting perforated, torn or just worn by the elements somehow.

Another great use for nylons is to cover binocular or scope lens to prevent reflection. If you don’t have them, at least cup your hands over the end of the binos and avoid facing into the sun.

The new binos have laser protective lenses which show bright luminescent green which can be spotted a mile a way.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.