Dispatches From Africa – North And South

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Dispatches From Africa – North And South

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I was fortunate to be introduced to Betty Bigombe, the Museveni/LRA Peace Talk Mediator, yesterday. She told me that she was sad that the talks were not proving to be successful, but that she will remain in contact with the rebels as long as there is hope. I think there’s a lady whose autobiography would be a fascinating read.

I travelled from Gulu to Lira in the evening, just after nightfall. Not the wisest of moves, especially considering that now the rains have started, the vegetation is growing, which always initiates renewed rebel attacks. There have been another couple of attacks since I wrote last, always following the same pattern – Vehicle shot at until it stops; driver killed instantly; others robbed of shoes, clothes and possession and then shot. Vehicle burned. We drove at breakneck speed, in cloying darkness, to avoid becoming the latest statistic.

Left Lira this morning after a flying visit to the Rachele Rehabilitation Centre, set up three years ago by Els De Temmerman, a Belgian Journalist. I was shown around the centre and had a short interview with a 10-year-old boy, who has only recently escaped from the LRA in Sudan. He was taken when he was only six, and his stories are upsettingly similar to all the others. He seemed so withdrawn and traumatised, the small, cuddly toy hanging out of his pocket adding a strong poignancy to the moment.

When he grows up, he says he dreams of getting a job; saving up enough money to buy a car; and just driving. To me, that speaks volumes.

Met Els at Karuma, on the Victoria Nile, late morning, and listened to her tales from Southern Sudan:

She never succeeded in getting up in the UPDF helicopters, but instead travelled between Yei and Juba, meeting several people from the UPDF and SPLA. Hotels rooms were at $250USD per night and tents were being charged at $150USD per night (all run by Arabs).

The situation in southern Sudan is very interesting these days, now that the SPLA holds sway, and trade routes with Uganda are open.

For over 20 years, consumables have been flown down to Juba on military flights, and distributed through stores, owned by military personel’s family. They call these stores “army shops”, and everything is priced at 300% the cost of that in Khartoum.

However, now that the SPLA has opened the trade routes into Northern Uganda, aided by the fact that $B4.5USD has been sunk into infrastructure development in the region, the cost of living has plummeted. In southern Sudan, the Ugandans are wonderful, and Khartoum is the big evil.

Khartoum, of course, doesn’t want to just sit back while this happens. And that’s where the LRA come in. Now they have a new agenda… Whilst a few skirmishes continue in N Uganda, this is mainly down to the fact that communications are down between the various groups. The bigger picture is that Khartoum is now funding the LRA to do their best to destroy the Ugandan trade routes around Yei and Juba; and to generally destabilise the region. In essence, the LRA have become mercs.

The main victims of the LRA in southern Sudan are the sudanese civilians. They’re the ones who are now being butchered. They hate the LRA and hate the Khartoum government for backing them.

The north-south divide in Sudan, is getting wider, it seems. This war in Equatoria, is far from over.

Back in Kampala now, so this will be my last dispatch.

Thanks for tuning in.

Lee.

kilroy

thnak you very much. i appreciated the telling of the trip greatly. perhaps when you get back you will be able to relate the story of your trip more completely?.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Kilroy,

Not sure what you mean by “relate the story of my trip”, but I will be writing an article or two.

Cheers,

Lee.

Alright there geezer.

glad to hear youre safe.Look forward to the seeing the pictures over a guiness…

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

No worries G,

We’ll sort something out for the next couple of weeks. Yeah?

Kapa

Nice one Lee. Thanks for keeping us in tune. Great to hear
      you’ve ‘come back alive’. Looking forward to the snaps and stories…..

kilroy

@Lee wrote:

Kilroy,

Not sure what you mean by “relate the story of my trip”, but I will be writing an article or two.

Cheers,

Lee.

yup, that’s what i meant. now, waste no more time replying and get cracking on the keyboard!

cheers

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Kilroy,

The first article is finished, but I’m just going to hold onto it for a bit while I approach a couple of the national newspapers to see if they want first dibs.

Cheers,

Lee.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.