Darfur Rebels Freeze Talks With Sudan

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Darfur Rebels Freeze Talks With Sudan

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Darfur’s most powerful rebel group broke off peace talks Monday with Sudan’s government, accusing it of carrying out a new military offensive in the western region.

The group, the Justice and Equality Movement, had signed a cease-fire with the government earlier this year and was taking part in talks aimed at finding a permanent political deal to end seven years of fighting.

An estimated 300,000 people have lost their lives to violence, disease and displacement in Darfur since fighting began with a 2003 rebellion by groups that accused the government of neglecting the vast desert region.

The violence in Darfur has ebbed over the past year, and the goal of the talks, under the mediation of the Persian Gulf nation of Qatar, is to reach a deal on sharing power and resources.

A rebel negotiator, Ahmed Tugod, said the Justice and Equality Movement was freezing the talks, but he said the rebel negotiating team was not closing the door on the peace effort and would remain in Doha.

Just to let you know I am again back in Sudan and heading for 2 weeks in West Darfur next week so should be able to keep you up to date on developments.

ROB
      Keymaster

Good stuff mate. Will look forward to it.

Sounds like you never leave the place!

Penta

@Wild in Africa wrote:

Just to let you know I am again back in Sudan and heading for 2 weeks in West Darfur next week so should be able to keep you up to date on developments.

What happened to the piece you said you’d write about Israel/Palestine? I’ve been looking out for it. Have I missed it somehow, or didn’t it happen?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Pen,

The problem isn’t with the content coming in; it’s with the slacker that can’t get round to publishing them!

:mrgreen:

ROB
      Keymaster

Are you referring to me or you? :(

Yeah Rob love it so much here you can’t keep me away. I mean, daytime temps of 45 Deg C, alcohol free beer, dust clogging every pore, what’s not to love?
      Regarding the other piece since I am also returnng that direction before long as well I agreed with Llee to hold an article for a while. Anyway it will take you till December to publish it based on prior experience!!

flipflop

I’m working with a Sudanese in my current job. He is the laziest, most irritating little shit I’ve ever had to earn a crust with. That’s no reflection on the nation of Sudan, just saying, and he hates the Pakistani fella alongside us, who’s as good as gold.

Carry on…

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@ROB wrote:

Are you referring to me or you? :(

Sorry mate, was pointing at you.

But nice to see the article is up now.

I’ll send you another one next week.

:wink:

Penta

@Wild in Africa wrote:

Regarding the other piece since I am also returnng that direction before long as well I agreed with Llee to hold an article for a while.

I’ll be patient then. I hope not till December, though.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.