Best Place to be for New Year’s Eve

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Best Place to be for New Year’s Eve

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

Where are you guys gonna be?

But several years I’ve been to Foxy’s beach bash on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the BVI. I’ve heard it’s the world’s third largest–I have no idea but it’s pretty wild. I hung out with Keith Richards there one year. The island only has about 40 inhabitants full-time but for the party, thousands come, tie up their boats and stay on the beach for a few days.

Anyone else been?

spamhog

I almost stayed in the US for new years & Xmas, but came back to the hot lands….decided its more bang for the buck (no pun intended) was gonna go to either Singapore or Hong Kong but now all the BS over SARS is started again, probably just go up to Cebu, lots of partying going on there despite some lousy weather (typhoon signal 3).

Spamhog

kramer

Speaking of bad weather, what’s the latest on those landslides in Leyte and Mindanao?

Looking like Lima right now, though that could change to another continent before I leave on the 29th. Which reminds me, is anyone aware of not-so friendly places to go in Peru… Yes, the place is pretty much safe, but if there were places that weren’t safe, well, you’ll probably find me there.

And Maccu Piccu, of course.

Foulplay

SRR,

I spent the millenium new year in Peru, (Cuzco) and things were pretty safe then. Not sure if the SL have re-risen since but if that’s the kind of danger you’re looking for, I think you’ll have a task on your hands.

Lima has it’s fair share of dodgy areas, but it’s largely a grey and crumbling city from what I saw of it and not the kind of place you’ll want to spend long in.

One word of caution. Never have I known so many flight delays as my time in Peru. The shortest was 2 1/2 hours, the longest 8 1/2. Also lost a whole rucsack on the Cuzco – Lima flight and had to wait four hours for it to arrive on the next flight.

FP

rickshaw92
      Participant

I will be in Nkata bay on lake Malawi. It should be fun, this is the first time in about 5 years that I have been in a somewhat christan country for Xmass.

Kurt
      Participant

@SRR wrote:

Looking like Lima right now, though that could change to another continent before I leave on the 29th. Which reminds me, is anyone aware of not-so friendly places to go in Peru… Yes, the place is pretty much safe, but if there were places that weren’t safe, well, you’ll probably find me there.

And Maccu Piccu, of course.

Hey SRR..

If you go to Santiago Chile let me know, my cousin from Norway is there doing what Norweigans do best…Aquaculture. I think he has a girlfriend in Lima so he might be around there as well.

As far as New Years go, in 1994 I was sick as hell and in Bulgaria. New Years there was a time of fireing shoddy, unsafe guns into the air and detonating explosives that I assumed were M-80s but much louder. In Bergen Norway for Siettende Mai (May 17, their independence day) they had a WWII era Howitzer that they fired..they way it rattled and echoed around the mountains I became convinced that every city should have a Howitzer to fire on special occasions.

I will be spending New Years in NYC, but not in Times Square or on the Brooklyn Bridge. In 2000 I was on the bridge drinking Champagne with a bunch of friends looking at the WTC and wondering if a bomb was going to go off in it again. Other people on the bridge with us confessed that they were kinda expecting the same thing.

That is pretty weird now that I think about it.

Actually we just started flying to Santiago from Toronto, but it’s pretty much useless for me on the wet coast since it’s always full and it’s faster for me to fly south to LA or Houston and connect from there. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if it weren’t for the ‘reciprocity tax’ I’ve heard about in Chile, where every foreigner needs to pay USD70 or something to get into the damned country. I only pay through the nose for visas for countries that are officially at war. ;)

Good news is I get a discount on Lan Peru – domestic flights here I come!

Jefe
      Participant

I will be here in Iraq and quite honestly, would rather be nowhere else. Just like today (Christmas), I am here with the best guys one could ever hope to associate with, we have beer and last night we had a Belgian woman with a nice figure dancing on the table. Didnt get better than that, but I have worse luck in the US.

I have no running water, no A/C or heat, get sick off the local food all the time but have plenty of ammo, a great crew and a fascinating mission.

Wouldnt trade it for anything!

CHILE:

Please email me. I have some freinds downt here who were General Pinochet’s bodyguards. If you need help, you can count on them.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again to the editors for all the work they put into this site.

PS: I will buy my place in Panama soon. Many will be welcome.

Jefe
      Participant

Its only for business and a small price to pay. If you are touring, its not much (I think 14?) but have it on you as they have the ATMs past Customs which can create special fun if you dont have it on hand.

Jefe
      Participant

Never been but have some real tuned in buddies from there. Give me a day or two and I will email you some info and some POCs.

Take care, have fun.

Any info or contacts you got I’d be interested, drop me a line at the usual sarchives@lycos.com. Have a good Christmas and new years over there, send my best wishes to your guys.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.