back on terra ferme

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble back on terra ferme

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      nick

Hey all.

I’m back from Haiti now. Was there for two weeks.

I figure you bastards will want to know about the liqour first. I told rickshaw about the beer but for everyone else; Prestige is prettty good beer; brewed in PAP. The beer is even better at Wahoo… the women there are incredible. They’re mostly mulatos who live in Petionville and Kenscoff–the upper middle class and the wealthy; Haitian women are beautiful. Prestige cost me 75 gourdes at Wahoo. that’s around two bucks American. The currency works like this: 5 gourdes to one haitian dollar. the exchange ratio is one to seven. so one haitian dollar is five gourdes and about 12 cents american. At the airport however, the exchange rate is one to eight (everyone’s got to make a buck). There’s also Presidente. I haven’t tried it but I hear it isn’t as good as Prestige. The rum though is where it’s at. Barbancourt Reserve Speciale is the good stuff. although, it’s all pretty good.

This photo was taken during the first day of class. The guy in the middle was one of my students, Jean-Francois. the school consists of five rooms and we crammed about 25 people into this one room. We brought most of the benches from the other rooms over to accomodate the large amount of students. I took the photo during prayer.

I’ve never seen people as devout in my life.

if any of this is incoherent, it’s late, and I still need to study for exams.

more later.

Oh yeah, luke, Rob, if you want to throw up a photo let me know. I’d love to contribute a story too.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Hi Nick,

Always looking for new contributions to keep the pipeline full.
      Haiti would be a excellent subject.

When do you expect to be able to put something together by?

Cheers,

Lee
      (I’ll forgive you for thinking Luke was still the editor!) :D

nick

Ah, haha. When did this happen? Is Luke still here?

I have a free weekend and can probably start working on something Saturday and maybe have it by the end of the weekend.

What are you looking for? Anything specific?

-nick

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@nick wrote:

When did this happen? Is Luke still here?

Something like a year ago. Pay attention young man!

Luke’s still about. He’s in South America at present.

Re: contributions. Best to email me.

Cheers Nick,
      Glad you had a good trip.

Lee.

nick

Ok I’ll email you everything.

I must have gotten the names mixed up–both start with L… Ok that’s a terrible excuse.

What’s standard PB? A few photos? Any parameters?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Nick,

I put together a guideline for contributions fairly recently. It’s yet to be placed on the website for all to see, but FYI here it is:

Commentary – Should be between 1000 – 1500 words. Pictures not essential, although one or two are appreciated.

Travel Feature – Can be anything from 500 – 4000 words. Anything larger is likely to be divided into smaller parts and published in instalments. Accompanying photography, though not essential, is highly preferred. Assume 5 pictures for every 1000 words submitted as a guideline. Feel free to send more; Editor will pick and choose if necessary.

Review – Typically no more than 500 words. Facts need to be accurate and crosschecked. An accompanying title-photograph/picture is requested.

Photography – All photography should be submitted in jpg format at no lower resolution than 300×300 pixels. Higher resolution pictures can be reduced by the editor, although it should be remembered that excessively large images would take considerably longer to send via email.

Please understand that the nature of some of Polo’s Bastards’ content carries the risk of endangering those people described therein. It is not in our agenda nor interest to favour any party over another, and anonymity of all individuals is encouraged where a consequent danger can arise as a direct result of a publication on the Polo’s Bastards’ website. We will usually ask for reconfirmation that named or pictured individuals, villages, towns, etc. Are protected if necessary, but that obligation must rest with the contributor. – Editor.

Hope that helps Nick,

Cheers,

Lee.

Anonymous

nick

lol, sorry about that luke.

Lee, that’s great, thanks.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.