Africa

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Africa

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Erik E

So I’m thinking about traveling in Africa soon. The idea is to leave home (Norway) in September, and then make my way through Europe down to the Middle-East, and cross over to Africa from there.

I’m thinking something like this:
      Egypt
      Sudan
      Ethiopia
      Kenya
      Uganda
      Rwanda
      Burundi
      Tanzania
      Mozambique
      Malawi
      Zambia
      Zimbabwe (Safe?)
      Botswana
      South Africa
      Swaziland?
      Lesotho?
      Namibia
      Angola
      DRC (Thinking of just passing through Kinshasa maybe)
      Congo-Brazzaville
      Gabon
      Eq-Guinea
      Cameroon
      Nigeria
      Niger?
      Benin
      Togo
      Burkina Faso
      Ghana
      Ivory Coast

I know it’s a lot. Would it be silly to try attempt it in just 8 months? I like to travel fast, although that will be hard on this continent I guess.

I’m wondering how to get from Cameroon past the Niger Delta in a safe manner. Any ideas?
      Any border crossing that might cause problems here?
      I’m working on getting a visa to Sudan now, which I have heard might be one of the harder ones. Are there any others that I might have difficulties getting?

Here is the visa map for Norway if that’s interesting. I think it’s pretty similar to US/EU passports.

Any tips regarding anything at all really would be appreciated.

hello…i’ve also heard the visa application to sudan might be tough, but there are conflicting reports, some have gotten it easier than others, think it just depends on ur nationality, the reasons for travelling etc etc. but on the flip side dont think it’s any more difficult than us sudanese applying for the schengen visa…etc etc. also put in mind u might get the visa in oslo but by the time you reach sudan it might’ve expired…so put that in mind…my govt has so many tricks and tips up their sleeves its incredible…

i know a couple who applied for the sudan visa fm london, didnt get it in time, travelled by car across europe into the mideast and than applied for the visa fm the embassy in cairo and got it in 2 days, so really its a matter of luck,

it is possible to visit all the countries uve listed in 8 months, esp if like u say you’re a quick traveller. but at the same time, u may visit one place and fall so much in love with it you wont want to leave, which has been known to happen, so a flexible travel itinerary would perhaps be more advisable. however, i would also recommend you check on security and safety. just because there may not be conflict does not make it any safer or more dangerous…

in terms of egypt, sudan, ethiopia, eritrea, how are u planning on crossing into each country? if you could give me a better idea maybe i can help u with more valid info….

enjoy yr trip…esp egypt, sudan and kenya…the rest i’ve yet to visit…

Erik E

Thanks for your reply divadalliaa! I actually tried to apply for a Sudanese visa in Jeddah (KSA), but they just told me to bugger off and apply in my own country. That was a consulate though, not an embassy. I made a friend in Jeddah who had a nephew in Khartoum who was a police officer. He is trying to apply for me there now. I’m also conserned about the time the visa will be valid…

Yeah, I’m very flexible. When I start it will just be the idea, but if I find a place I want to stay for say even 3 months or longer, I still have the rest of my life to visit the other places :)

Yeah, about security, I was hoping to get some tips about that here :)

As for traveling overland Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia (not Eritrea, as I have to fly in to Asmara if I want to go there, right?) I was thinking something like this:

Cross overland from Egypt to Sudan near Wadi Halfa, continue down to Khartoum, and cross over to Ethiopia at Gallabat. What do you think? I haven’t really looked too much into exact places to cross yet, as I don’t know exactly where I want to go in every country yet (I’m pretty sure this will change many times during the trip).

Maybe I should visit Port Sudan too?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Erik,

I’ll help you with the Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania section if you need, although that whole section is pretty straight forward.

Having said that… The second half of your trip, heading north, alone will take the full eight months. Do not expect to travel fast through central Africa. It moves at its own pace, and will suck the life out of you if you resist that pace.

Enjoy it, and go with the flow.

TIA Danny!

Cheers.

Erik E

Thanks for your feedback Lee,

Those countries worry me least, but I’d really like some information. Especially about Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi :)

Really that long for that part? I’m under the impression W. Africa is not that hard to get around in? South Africa to Nigeria though, I can imagine will be tough. As long as I can afford it, I don’t mind spending more time :)

i would def recommend you pay Port Sudan a visit, it’s quite small and a day will suffice, unless u want to go diving…but visit wise it can be seen in a day. suakin and sinkat are must visits in my opinion.

security wise, as long as you stick to the northern/eastern side of sudan you should be safe, and as thats quite a popular route by those other’s who’ve gone the same way you won’t face problems.

regarding ur visa, i suggest u call teh sudanese embassy in norway, or wherever you’re currently residing, and ask them about the length of stay the visa allows u and how long its for, and maybe if u explain ur situation u might end up talking to a decent civil servant who’ll help u.

can i ask wen you’re planning on gg on ur trip??

Stiv

What no Sao Tome?

~Stiv

ROB
      Keymaster

Yeah, you cannot say you’ve done Africa unless you’ve been to Sao Tome and Principe.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Yes you can. I have and I haven’t.

ROB
      Keymaster

So half hearted. ;)

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I was on my way to bed!

AudreyM

I am also planning on travelling Africa soon. My trip is planned to start in Cape Town and head overland to Cairo through Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia and the Sudan. Time constraints mean we can’t do more, but if anyone has any advice on those countries I would be very happy to hear it! We are going to be travelling by bus and train primarily, but once we get north of Nairobi the means of transportation seems to be a little iffy.

Now we have billed this trip as C2C on public transport, and so don’t want (and can’t afford) to be hiring 4x4s and the like. Does anyone have any ideas on what we should expect to be able to find? And how long we should expect that part of the trip to take? Or just generally what to expect?

It is odd, how even for two South Africans, heading off into the rest of the continent really means braving the unknown.

Stiv

@ROB wrote:

So half hearted. ;)

Agreed, I know I’d look back on it and always regret them and of course Cape Verde also! :wink:

Trains, buses and Camels??

Seriously though Audrey I did move about much of Ethiopia and I don’t know how it compares to other areas of Africa (SRR and Lee and Wild in Africa are the *Go-Too* guys here at Polo’s) but it’s Sloooooow going on the ground with some fairly affordable interior/domestic flight infrastructure.

Best,
      Stiv

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@Stiv wrote:

Cape Verde

I shall make a promise to get some of my Cape Verde pics on here very shortly.

8)

Anonymous

but once we get north of Nairobi the means of transportation seems to be a little iffy.

Once you leave SA transport will be iffy.

Been to East Africa a couple of times and met folks doing the C2C thing. Theres always a way in Africa.

Erik E

Yeah I was thinking about just going to Sao Tome and Principe + Cape Verde, then skip the rest of Africa.

On a serious note,
      I like long trips, and I’ll be starting my studies at some point soon. When I get there I know it’ll be a long time till I get a chance doing something like this, study loans etc.

I might end up doing just either half of it first though.

divadalliaa:
      Great! I’ll check with the embassey, and see what they say :) Right now it looks like I might leave mid-october, and then the idea is to work my way through Europe and the Middle-East swiftly first.

Erik E

I’m looking into the option of going the other way. Starting in Morocco and traveling through West Africa. Maybe just do that first, and then see what I want to do when I get to Nigeria. Just how safe or unsafe is Guinea, Guinea-Bissau and Liberia? Anywhere else I should or shouldn’t go?

Erik E

Alright. Tickets booked. So I’m flying into Dakar next friday, and flying out of Lagos in 3 months. Decided that’ll do for now. Anyone got any info to share about Guinea? I read the article on here (and travel advisories etc) about the area, and it seemed it is not a very good idea to cross from Liberia to the Ivory Coast. Anyone know if it would be expensive to fly between the capital cities in those countries, or any other way of doing it?

Thanks for any input!

Best Regards,
      Erik

Well I can help where I can as I have been round Africa a lot over the years (but no, NOT Sao Tome et Principe!) and can especically give guidance on Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Zam, and Zim if that helps.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.