A last minute change of plans to Bogota

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble A last minute change of plans to Bogota

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

See, this is the issue when you can fly anywhere on short notice, have been everywhere, and just want a few Heinekens on your vacation but still want to go somewhere interesting. Anyways since I have discovered a fascinating bug in our travel booking software plans needed to be changed fast so I’ve decided to head to Bogota from Caracas over about 10 days.

Since everyone here has spent some decent time in Bogota could you give me a lowdown of nice eateries and such since it’s been three years and my last visit was a surreal experience where I was trying to escape maniacal coursework. That was a far more existentialist time, and this time I just want some decent beer and recommendations by people I know.

That’s about as specific as I can get, and all of this is subject to change without notice. But thanks for any tips that you can throw my way.

Kurt, if you want me to hunt down that fellow you wanted Expatriated to hunt down, just let me know. SRR and Cru will get on it during those fleeting moments of sobriety.

Thanks all.

The coolest eatery is Andres’ Carne de Res in Chia (a little north of Bogota-maybe $8 cab ride US). It’s the biggest party in a restaurant I’ve ever seen. You can dance, watch magic shows, meet people, buy junk and even eat. Think I wrote an article about it somewhere on this site.

The Zona Rosa around the Centro Comercial Andino is a very happening place with tons of places to eat and hang out. It’s probably the largest concentration of gringos in the area-don’t know if that’s good or bad. Some hand tossed grenades were thrown into Palo’s and the Bogota Beer Company last year–they’re both in that area.

Parque 93 is a large park that is surrounded by restaurants, clubs etc.

I really want to check out that place Kurt recommends. Was too busy working during my last trip-bummer.

Thanks Expatriated, your info is duly noted. I’m in Baranquilla right now thanks to the hospitality of Avianca, who landed here instead of Cartagena as a result of a bad storm. They promptly put us all up in five star hotel rooms, which isn’t bad considering a ticket to CTG only costs 85 bucks. And they wonder why they’re bankrupt….

Should be heading south later. Want to hit either Medellin or Cali later this week before returning to Bogota, depending on time. The airport looks waaay better than it did in 2001, too.

rickshaw92
      Participant

Hey SSR whats Avianca like? Also it seem that I will be overnighting at the airport in Caracus, do you know if there are 24hr drinking establishment there?

Avianca´s passable, nothing special. The whole putting us up in five star hotels for no good reason was a nice touch but I wouldn´t bank on it.

Didn´t get to Caracas on this trip, Colombia seemed more interesting. Though something tells me that if the expats are at the critical mass they are said to be in Venezuela, there should be plenty of opportunities for easy alcohol at all hours.

I have to go catch a Sean Paul show. This is a very strange coincidence if anyone has read my story on Lagos….

Anonymous

i was through Caracas airport back in 10/02. It’s a pretty big shithole. Not to much in the way of anyplace to drink that I can remember in the airport. There are some hotels and bars near by as I recall visible from the airport exitway. Cab it or hoof it. The airport area is pretty ruff. Getting jumped outside once past the road is not out of the question. I’d suggest the registered cab thing. The Polar beer is definetly worth it. Yeah it comes in 10 oz. bottles but only costs about $0.80 a pop. That might be a little higher in Caracas. High water content too. I remember it taking about a case for me to get kinda drunk on.

Avianca was a good airline in my opinion. No problems what so ever. There were airport taxes that I wasn’t aware of but small and legitimate. Not the fuck you, you have no choice taxes that tend to bother you. For the view, VZ internal flights are spectacular because they hug the coast line which are all heavily vegitated mountains. You could grow anything up there!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.