100+ women descend on Jabez, Kentucky,

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble 100+ women descend on Jabez, Kentucky,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

…whereby we had to mapquest first where the heck Jabez, Kentucky, was.

Last weekend, I participated in an all-female 3-day workshop on outdoor skills – (hunting, fishing, wilderness survival etc) called BOW – Becoming an Outdoor Woman, a nationwide program (also in New Zealand). We shot guns, we shot bows and sawed off a deer head. My favorite part was tracking the blood trail of an actual deer donated by a hunter.

I went chiefly for the archery as I want to start bow hunting (deer). Many women had never touched a gun – or a snake – and came away empowered, inspired and more confident.

We were also joined by the National Guard and about 20 female cadets from a military-type school for youth at risk.

Below some action pics (blood and gore alert):

One of my friends shooting for the first time (of course, she LOVED it):

The same goes for my other friend:

Debbie Greer, 3rd-place world champion in archery, taught the course:

My first attempt with a compound bow:

Body count (2 cadets learned a harsh archery lesson):

My friend touched a snake for the first time – and crossed it off her bucket list:

Tracking drops of blood, deer hair and other elusive signs of a shot deer running:

Found it!:

If it blinks or has eyes closed, it ain’t dead:

The cadet and I dragging our deer:

Even though the girls didn’t expect any of this gore, nobody acted ‘like a girl’:

Yes, this is an important issue for women hunters, especially in the winter, especially in a tree stand!!!:

Freshly trained warrior princesses from the same town:

Cheers,
      Alice

ROB
      Keymaster

Damn – don’t get on the wrong side of that group!

Great pics!!

DrDave
      Participant

Kentucky girls are freakin’ crazy, they’ll pop a cap in ya!

ROB
      Keymaster

How did you fell that dear? It looks like it’s got a mighty wound on its right hindquarter when you’re poking to see if it’s still alive?

Yeah, the deer did not blink ;)

The deer was shot by a hunter who field-dressed (gutted) it (per some hygiene rules) and then gave it to our instructors who planted it in the woods. We went through all the motions except for the field-dressing.

Even though you may place an excellent shot, many times the deer still runs although technically it should be dead. That’s why you need to track it and that’s why often you will only see a drop or a few drops here and there. If you shoot and wait 15 – 30 min (the longest 15 – 30 min of your life), the deer will stop running, bed down and die. If you follow it right away, it may keep running (from you) and sometimes you don’t find it.

You poke its eyes because you want to prevent being gored or hooved to death should it come to life as you’re handling it.

Cheers.

RiverRat

:wink: Buncha hillbillies if ya ask me :wink:

rapidope

That’s very courageous of you girls :-)
      I remember back here in primary school, Australia – the group of us saw a dead dingo and nobody really wanted to go near it. :(

ROB
      Keymaster

@rapidope wrote:

That’s very courageous of you girls :-)
      I remember back here in primary school, Australia – the group of us saw a dead dingo and nobody really wanted to go near it. :(

ProjectAlice is single handedly responsible for the genocide of many native species in western Queensland.

The deer stood no chance. ;)

DrDave
      Participant

ProjectAlice is single handedly responsible for the genocide of many native species in western Queensland.

THAT had me crying I was laughing so hard. Careful Rob, she’s liable to “disappear” any witness she considers a threat!!!!! You’ve seen what she’s capable of….ruthless and ice water running through her veins ;)

@ROB wrote:

The deer stood no chance. ;)

If it’s brown, it’s down.

flipflop

Girls with guns – gotta love it

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Do they teach them how to shave their armpits?

~James

ROB
      Keymaster

Maybe you could apply as an instructor James?

Good to see you back around. Long time no see.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.