You were wondering what I’d invested in…

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble You were wondering what I’d invested in…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Lee Ridley
      Keymaster
      ROB
      Keymaster

You’re investing in startups now?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

This one, yes. If even a tiny percentage of the world population click on this site just once a year, the numbers are still staggering and represent a huge draw for potential advertisers.

Not sure it’s a site that I’ll use all that much, but the advertising revenue should be enough to give me a good ROI.
      That’s the plan, anyway.

I just hope the site’s owners do a good job of promoting it.

Penta2
      Participant

Worth a punt – as long as it isn’t the shirt on your back.

ROB
      Keymaster

I don’t really get what I am supposed to do on the site? Or why I would do it?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

It’s not the shirt on my back, Penta, but it’s still money I’d like to see again!

Rob, All it is meant to be is a kind of social network, where people are united by their birthdate. I suspect it will be very popular with women and kids… Grumpy old bastards like me, will generally treat it with complete indifference.

Ultimately, quite soon I’d hope, there should be a whole load of areas on the site that lead off into things like birthday party location(s) in your town; ideas for gifts (good place to check when it’s the wife’s birthday coming up); links to relevant sites (such as retailers or “red letter day”- style companies).
      The plan is also to draw in investers that will open locations (“cafes”) that will have a birthday party going on every day of the year for anyone in that city to come and join in. Hotels are being invited to these discussions, as they generally have a lot of space in the form of conference rooms etc. that could be utilised and turned into revenue generating space on days that they are otherwise standing empty.

I think the owners have their work cut out for them, because it’s an idea with a load of potential, but only if the world at large knows the name.

Penta2
      Participant

I think it could work. People seem to make a big thing of every birthday these days, even grown-ups. And there are a lot of lonely people out there who must feel they’re missing out. I don’t know if there are enough people in every big city with shared birthdays, but if there were, the open parties could bring in people who want an instant celebration.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@Penta2 wrote:

I don’t know if there are enough people in every big city with shared birthdays, but if there were, the open parties could bring in people who want an instant celebration.

Based on the averages, there are 35,274 people in London for everyday of the year. That’s a lot of shared birthdays, even when you take a small percentage that might be interested in something like this. If only one in a hundred people were into this, that’s 352 people, plus friends that would turnup on any given day… And that’s per city.

New York – 55,109 people
      Tokyo – 97,671
      Mumbai – 39,589

You get the idea.

ROB
      Keymaster

Wouldn’t you get more coverage if it was built as a Facebook app rather than a standalone site?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I think they avoided Facebook in case they stole the idea.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.