Stupid stuff you miss from home when you are overseas

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Stupid stuff you miss from home when you are overseas

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Man I would kill a man for an Arby’s Beef and Cheddar and Mountain Dew right now – they have neither in Indonesia

I always miss the crappy foods from the US

~James

I always miss Wendy’s burgers, as well as A&W onion rings, but that doesn’t bug me as much as not being able to find proper BEEF FOOKING JERKY here in Frogistan. Also, Hawkin’s Cheezies are a Canadian delicacy that create an addiction similar to crack cocaine, and are the central reason most Canadian nationals never stray too far from home. Pick up a bag if you’re ever in the Great Wet North and you’ll know what I’m tooking aboot.

flipflop

Football
      Leg-over
      Shant

In that order

rickshaw92
      Participant

Depends where I’m at. For the most part I miss the food from back home. Mr. Sub kicks subways ass, Harvey’s kicks rottin ronies ass and dont get me started on Timmies. I miss my bar at home, Sneaky Dees. The good food I have eaten and the cheap draught I wash it down with, the dope I smoke out front. Aaah memories. Sa for them cheezes that SSR is on about, never heard of em and me being from Canadas capitol city I figured we would have a bit of everything.

ROB
      Keymaster

Vegemite
      Meat Pies
      Chips with gravy
      Bundaberg Ginger Beer
      Bundaberg Rum (the smell of home)

When I was in London, I found a “meat pie” in a pub and when they brought it out it was literally a slab of spam wrapped in pastry. I almost cried.

rickshaw92
      Participant

Sounds like a pork pie. Hit and miss but ya gotta be drunk. Proper pies with mash and gravey and peas rock. As the U. K. is my 2nd home there are things I miss from heer as well like good pub food washed down with cask ale, chips with curry, all the funny accents the locals have, street markets and lets not forget takin the piss outta the French!

Jimbo
      Participant

James, does Jakarta still have a Wendys burger joint? When I visited there in the mid 1990s I would have at least one meal at the Wendys.

@rickshaw92 wrote:

Sa for them cheezes that SSR is on about, never heard of em and me being from Canadas capitol city I figured we would have a bit of everything.

You’ve likely seen ’em. They’re easy to spot because of the garish red and white packaging. Only available in Canada. I hauled a kilo across the planet over Christmas, paying out the ass to transport them.

I always feel ashamed at myself for missing junk and fast food when in a country that has cool and delicious food – but oddly those are the only things I miss. The odd thing is I only maybe eat fast food a few times a month in the states.

Some other stuff I will gorge on when I get back to the States:

BBQ Pork Rinds
      Waffle House
      Miller Beer
      Southern Pork BBQ
      Frozen Dinners
      Taco Bell

@Jimbo wrote:

James, does Jakarta still have a Wendys burger joint? When I visited there in the mid 1990s I would have at least one meal at the Wendys.

Yep – they have em all over, tastes the same as in the states to me – but I prefer Burger King for fast food hamburgers because they use lost of fresh veggies and real mayo. BK just came to Indonesia less than a year ago.

~James

rickshaw92
      Participant

Miller fookin beer? I think we both know neither Steve McQueen nor Lee Marvin would be caught dead swillin that fish piss!

ROB
      Keymaster

Is that Miller as in Miller Genuine Draft?

If so, gotta agree with Rickshaw on that one. ;)

Jimbo
      Participant

Miller is the kind of beer you drink when you’re like 10 years old…the best brews in the US now are micro-brewed, there’s one from the state of Maine called Geary’s Pale ale that’s very good,it kinda reminds me of Red Stripe. The problem with micro-brewed beers in the US is that once they become popular & successful they become mass produced & lose some their original flavor, Sam Adams & Pete’s Wicked Ale are 2 examples of this. Sierra Nevada is another good one & there’s one from Delaware (I think) called Dogfish beer/ale that’s also very good. Any of these names sound familiar Mr. Shaw?

BTW James, There used to be a Taco Bell in BKK, many moons ago,unfortunately the Thais didn’t dig so much

I don’t really like miller – I just want to drink it when I am overseas, probably because I can’t get it

I like malt liquor

~James G

I have eaten like 20 Five Guys Burgers sense I have returned to the US – they are fucking tasty

~James G

Chimborazo

I always miss milk.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.