Solomon Islands: A whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on…again

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Solomon Islands: A whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on…again

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ROB.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      DrDave
      Participant

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018366459

Magnitude 7 Earthquake Stikes Off Solomon Islands

April 11, 2010 11:17 a.m. EST
      Topics: earthquake, disaster and accident, World
      David Goodhue – AHN News Reporter

Solomon Islands (AHN) – A strong magnitude 6.8 earthquake stuck more than 37 miles below the sea off the Solomon Islands in the Pacific Ocean Sunday.

There was no immediate reports of a tsunami alert from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, but the agency said officials in the area should be prepared for the possibility of local tidal waves in coastal areas surrounding the quake’s epicenter.

A magnitude-8 earthquake hit in the western Solomon Islands in April 2007 that triggered a tsunami, which killed more than 50 people.

The Solomon Islands are a chain made up of almost 1,000 islands north of Australia.

Read more: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018366459#ixzz0koTIJilD

flipflop

Any news on a tsunami yet Dave?

DrDave
      Participant

No reports of any yet. Looks like local tsunamis were possible but nothing about a big one.

ROB
      Keymaster

And once again, I fucking hate the Aussie press.

Not a single mention of this on the SMH.com.au or the news.com.au websites as at the time of me writing this.

flipflop

@ROB wrote:

And once again, I fucking hate the Aussie press.

Not a single mention of this on the SMH.com.au or the news.com.au websites as at the time of me writing this.

I guess there’s no whitey knocking about this particular area, not in any great numbers then?

ROB
      Keymaster

There’s a few aid workers, but the whitey journos and politicians are all in Honiara.

The sheer amount of times in folks in the outer provinces of the Solomons get screwed is quite amazing when you start taking notice. Earthquakes, tsunamis, destroyed towns, destroyed hospitals etc etc – it goes on and on.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.