Powerful Earthquake Strikes Indonesia Off Java Coast

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Powerful Earthquake Strikes Indonesia Off Java Coast

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
        Luckily no tsunami or damage – I just spoke to some people in Jakarta, some of them didn’t even feel it.

Man – 7.5 Thats a big one – I was having visions of my new house being swept away by floods or smashed to ruble.

~JAMES

Powerful Earthquake Strikes Indonesia Off Java Coast
      By VOA News
      08 August 2007
      http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-08-08-voa52.cfm

A strong undersea earthquake has struck off Indonesia’s main island of Java near the capital, Jakarta, but officials say there is no risk of a tsunami.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the epicenter of the 7.5 magnitude quake was about 110 kilometers east of Jakarta. It struck shortly after midnight local time (1700 UTC) at a depth of more than 280 kilometers.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says the quake was too deep to generate a large tsunami wave.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or significant damage, but the quake triggered panic in many parts of the island. Residents of Jakarta say the temblor shook buildings there for more than a minute.

In December 2004, a massive undersea earthquake and tsunami killed more than 160,000 people in Indonesia’s westernmost Aceh province. Many thousands more were killed in other Indian Ocean nations.

Indonesia is the world’s largest archipelago. It is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific Ring of Fire, an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

~

DrDave
      Participant

Glad to hear things worked out. Is your place in an area where a tsunami could get it?

Not really, my place is in the Jakarta suburbs – but during the big flood earlier this year the waters got within 2 blocks of my old condo

~James

Stiv

I think Dave meant JITW island.

Best,
      Stiv

You mean JITW Beach? That’s on Bangka Island – it should be ok I guess, their is nothing on JITW Beach but a jungle bungalow that I could easily rebuild – the only time that I have ever used that place was for a wilderness survival class once – their isn’t any power or water so I usually just camp out

~JITW

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.