Posting way cool DSLR pics while on the road?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Posting way cool DSLR pics while on the road?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      rickshaw92
      Participant

So the other day I went out and bought a DSLR camera, a Canon 500D with an image stabilizer (important for shootin while shitfaced) and all kinds of other way cool functions. My other camera is a Canon A710 IS so the DSLR is quite a step up. I was reading through the instruction manual only to find, to my utter dismay, that I need to download the software into a computer in order to down load my pics onto Facebook, Photobucket or whatever. I was hoping to just plug the camera into any random computer as I travel around but this does not seem to be the case. I use internet cafes as I travel as I do not own a computer and if I did I do not fancy lugging something like a laptop around, and besides it wouldn’t last to many matatu, chicken bus, share taxi rides anyway. Is there a way around this?

flipflop

Does it not have an SD card slot?

rickshaw92
      Participant

I bought an 8 gb extreme memory card, cost 40 quid.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I’m not so sure you’d need Nikon software specifically on any PC that you wish to upload to…

The next piece of kit you need to buy is a memory card reader. They’re inexpensive and allow you to plug in a memory card (such as your SD card) and connect to a PC using a USB cable.

I would expect most modern operating systems would recognise as soon as a memory card is plugged in and immediately allow you to browse the contents.

rickshaw92
      Participant

I’m not so sure you’d need Nikon software specifically on any PC that you wish to upload to…

Its Canon software that came in the box, the manual says:

! Before connecting the camera to a computer, be sure to install the provided software (EOS DIGITAL Solution disk on CD ROM) in the computer.

I dont wanna haul software around with me anymore than I wanna haul the free tripod they gave me. and speakin of software, how many down load instalations do you get from one of these CD ROM’s?

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Sorry, didn’t read your post properly… Even so, I think you’ll find that any computer will recognise the images without the Canon software, so long as you’re shooting in an open format, such as JPG.

Some camera manufacturers have their own proprietory version of RAW and it’s this that will require the software you’re talking about.
      Just check your camera settings in the menu and select JPG as the image format. With all respect, it doesn’t sound like you’re likely to be wanting to shoot in RAW anyway, with all of the post-processing that comes with it.

rickshaw92
      Participant

With all respect, it doesn’t sound like you’re likely to be wanting to shoot in RAW anyway, with all of the post-processing that comes with it.

I agree, the locals may start to wonder why the big white buffoon keeps banging his head on the puter screen. :lol:

ROB
      Keymaster

Shoot in jpg.

The only down side is that if you decide later that you want to do some work on your images in Photoshop, then it is WAY WAY WAY better if you had shot in RAW.

A RAW file collects a LOT more data than a JPG file (about 8 times the amount I think). But if you’re only using the images for Facebook etc, then it’s not going to be a problem.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Although Rob is right about RAW versus JPG, I would argue that decent skills at Photoshop will allow you to do wonders even with JPG images.

ROB
      Keymaster

Do wonders. Sure.

Change large areas of light to dark like sky and clouds without noise… No chance.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Totally disagree, Rob.

Select area to be modified by using any of the multiple tools (selection, lasso, rectangular marquee, etc.) set the edge feather to three or four pixels (>select>modify>feather) so that the changes don’t stand out too much against the surrounding unmodified image, and then make your adjustments as necessary, using whatever is appropriate (curves, levels, contrast/brightness etc.)

None of that process will introduce noise.

Also, Adobe Camera Raw will alow you to make many of the common RAW modifications on jpg images now, such as adjusting white balance, exposure, fill in light etc.

ROB
      Keymaster

That’s ok, Lee.

It’s not the first time you’ve been wrong. :mrgreen:

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Can’t argue with that!

:mrgreen:

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.