New Job, May Get Smoked

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble New Job, May Get Smoked

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

I got a new job with a SatCom company that specializes in doing business in conflict areas and developing countries.

The good news for me is after I finish training I’ll get to travel all over the Middle East, Africa, and South America and all over Asia, get to spend half the year in Indoneasia and I’ll almost double my salary. The bad news is that I have to train for 6 months in Iraq, and that means I’m living in a house in the “red zone” in central Bagdad and driving around the country in a pick-up truck with no PSD. So if I suddenly stop posting it means that I got smoked by an IED or you may end up seeing me on Al Jazeera crying like a 4 year old girl.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Just keep your head down, Watch everything, trust no-one (within reason), maintain a healthy level of paranoia, and make lots of friends.

You’ll get through it.

Best of luck.

Thanks Lee, if anything happens to me I’ll leave you my new MacBook pro…hahaha

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Excellent – In that case, walk up and down the road outside your hotel draped in the stars and stripes everyday.

:D

DrDave
      Participant

Good luck James. Level IIIa body armor with plates is your friend. I like the vest that looks like a reporter’s vest. Less conspicuous. I get my stuff at Galls.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=BP275&cat=3012

Keep your head on……errrr……down.

Thanks for the advice Doc, but I think 511 gear would make me stick out like a sore thumb. I doubt that I’ll wear body armor, no one else dose it is way to hot (it is 115 in the shade today).

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

James,

What’s going on with your posts on the BFC?
      Looks like the same thing that happened to 2Charlie a couple of years ago.

Have you done that, or is somebody else screwing with you?

I dont care

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

You’re not giving anything away, are you.

Stiv

JITW don’t get bent some of us (mostly at Polo’s) can relate to your angst!!!

Best,
      Stiv

soulohio

how’s that stiv? i mean, the guy seems entertaining enough but it’s rather bad form to gloat over much money you make on an internet board and piss yourself everytime a defence contractor gets another no bid contract….don’t you think?

ROB
      Keymaster

Fucking sweet gig James. Keep your head down.

Guys – leave shit from other boards on other boards. Don’t bring it here, please.

salamantee

@soulohio wrote:

how’s that stiv? i mean, the guy seems entertaining enough but it’s rather bad form to gloat over much money you make on an internet board and piss yourself everytime a defence contractor gets another no bid contract….don’t you think?

No, I don’t see it as bad form. I see it as a valuable resource of information.

So who are you working for? I’ve been looking for a new way to subsidized my wanderings.
      Cheers,
      Peacedog

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.