Mmmmmmm food…….

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Mmmmmmm food…….

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Chimborazo

Since I love food and love travel, I love to hear about people’s culinary experiences. So, what is your favorite type of cuisine, your favorite meal (and/or favorite foods), or the best meal you’ve ever had (not necessarily due to the food itself, but perhaps due to the people you dined with).

I’m an absolute whore for Indian food (mostly lamb vindaloo and chicken curries, and I do enjoy a dosa with sambar every now and then), but lately I’ve been on a dim sum kick, and have been craving Ethiopian food quite a bit (thanks to Stiv, who reignited that craving a few months ago). Oh, and there’s a great Pho joint not too far from here, and the place I get dim sum is apparently about as close as you can get to authentic Chinese food (surprising for a city this size).

That being said, one of my favorite meals is molokia with rabbit, pigeon, or chicken, all cooked by and eaten with my father.

ROB
      Keymaster

There is a little shitbox hole in the wall in Essouira Morocco that does the most incredible Tagines. I still dream of the place even though I haven’t been there in over a decade.

Where I live here in Sydney is great. I live in a shitbox, but only cos it lets me be close to all of the restaurants – probably about 200 restaurants and cafes within a mile radius of my house.

Unfortunately my love of food is matched only by my hatred of exercise. :(

Chimborazo

Speaking of little shitboxes, there is this small shack on the beach in Guayama, Puerto Rico that only served seafood. The tables were picnic tables in the sand, some under a roof and their food was really good and really cheap. Best part is that it was a local joint…I worked in Guayama for several months and never saw a single tourist there. I think it was called La Casa de los Pastelillos. Needless to say, their pastelillos were amazing.

vagabond22

I like simple stuff done well. As I said in that Bourdain thread at the BFC, I was pretty satisfied w/ nasi goreng (fried rice) in Indonesia and Malaysia. I also like just a bowl of pho and can delight in the simplicity of such a meal.. I will eat pretty much anything but can’t recall ‘the most fantastic meal’ off the top of my head. Most are meaningful because of the context (like having dinner at an Argentinian restaurant w/ a close friend after the Madrid bombings or my first champagne and caviar dinner in Russia) which I think is important for all food-induced adventures.

I like being surprised by places. I wouldn’t think Bulgaria, or the Balkans for that matter, would have great food, but I enjoyed everything I ate there and Sofia has some wonderful, cheap restaurants. Again, simplicity stood out – a piece of fresh bread, some goat cheese and fresh honey for breakfast each day. Also had I guess what you would call my strangest meal there in Gjirokaster, Albania: goat’s brain and something else soup. It wasn’t bad, and the side of kofte and raki was even better.

I had some amazing food in India and hate that I don’t live somewhere that has good Indian restaurants (or Asian ones in general for that matter). I like anything spicy as long as it doesn’t overpower the other flavors of the meal. Despite spending a lot of my travel time in Europe, I can’t recall many that stood out. Then again, I wasn’t as much of a foodie back in my younger days.

I’ve gone upscale (thirty quid steaks in London) and downscale (salted shrimp on the beach in Yucatan with a bottle of Sol) and can appreciate all of it. Still haven’t gone to a three-star here in Paris (but fuck, for five hundred Euros I can think of better things to do) but always find something interesting to eat around the planet.

Though these days I happen to be a bigger fan of my own cooking. It’s interesting to note that the better you get at your own cooking the less interested you get by just -average- restaurant food. You start looking for something amazing, unique, tasty, out of the ordinary. And you start to wonder how they made it.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

5 pints of London Pride followed by a chicken dhansak and sag aloo with pilau rice.

Job done.

rickshaw92
      Participant

@Lee wrote:

5 pints of London Pride followed by a chicken dhansak and sag aloo with pilau rice.

Job done.

Only 5 pints? Off to the thorn tree with ya,ya fookin feather weight! :D

Chimborazo

@vagabond22 wrote:

I had some amazing food in India and hate that I don’t live somewhere that has good Indian restaurants (or Asian ones in general for that matter). I like anything spicy as long as it doesn’t overpower the other flavors of the meal.

There are several Indian joints in and around here, but only a couple of good ones. There is a Bangladeshi place near my house that I love, but I can’t really say it’s great quality food. It just hits the spot for me for some reason. My girlfriend hates it.

Stiv

I’d say Abgusht in Tabriz Iran this guy was so amazed that Americans came to his place 2 days in a row that on the second day he refused to charge us, because he raked us over the coals the day before for a whopping .75cents each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abgoosht

Cracked conch and turtle steaks in Grand Cayman.

Blinis and caviar in Moscow

Shashlik in Uzbekistan

Unbelievable mezzas in Syria and also in Israel….shashukra like an eggs in purgatory kind of thang in some Bedoiun tent.

Geeze Chimbo I can go on and on because one thing I do when on the road is eat what I’ve never had though I’m a pussy when it comes to bugs like in Cambodia and Thailand…that’s purely survival fare AFAIAC.

Best,
      Stiv

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@rickshaw92 wrote:

Only 5 pints? Off to the thorn tree with ya,ya fookin feather weight! :D

Alas, I lack the constitution of my former years.

Could push it to 8 pints, but then a curry would not likely stay down!

:roll:

flipflop

@Lee wrote:

Job done.

Swap the dansak for a lamb vindaloo (or a phal if I really want to punish my hoop the next day) and we’re whistling Dixie!!!!

I did a roast chicken for the kids, the Chef bit was when I shoved an orange
      up the chickens ass for flavour…..the chicken was dead when I did all this.

ROB
      Keymaster

Was the orange?

DrDave
      Participant

Restaurant: Maltezskych Rytiru
      Dish: The evening special was wild boar and it made me want to cry it was so delicious. The owner of the establishment assured me she was able to create the best apple strudel in Europe and she was able to back up this claim with product!
      The atmosphere of the place was awesome as well. Eating downstairs in a Gothic, candle lit room, made it feel like the middle ages.
      http://www.umaltezskychrytiru.com/kategorie/home/

Restaurant: Tre Fratelli
      Dish: Al Fruti Di Mare – a mixed seafood pasta dish with a white sauce that rocks the palate. I make it a point to eat there at least a couple of times on each trip to the mainland

Stiv

and have been craving Ethiopian food quite a bit (thanks to Stiv, who reignited that craving a few months ago).

Well the next meal is my treat so make it sooner rather than later amigo!

Taking the daughter there Monday afternoon can’t wait I haven’t seen her since Christmas she just got back from Alabama visiting her Special Ops/SEAL guy friend.

Best,
      Stiv

ROB
      Keymaster

We have a “Viking” restaurant around the corner.

We occassionally go in and get the whole succling pig. Feeds about 20.

You really get to find out if you’re a true meat eater when, after a couple of hours of eating it, they come out and crack the skull open for the good bits.

Stiv

Rob,
      there’s usually a good fight for the snout and ears my brother was a butcher and could really do them up,

I prefer spring lamb that way anyday and down your way that’s probably boring. Years ago the lambs we had to get were imported but now the domestic product is cheaper and almost as good. We’d get some New Zeland lambs that looked as if they dropped out of the mother and they’d jusat pick it right up and slaughter it there.

Happy eating!!lol

~Stiv

Chimborazo

Hey Stiv, someone (a Chinese guy) told me there’s a real Chinese restaurant in Exton but he couldn’t remember the name. Any idea what he’s talking about? I might head up your way early March.

rickshaw92
      Participant

We occassionally go in and get the whole succling pig

Gotta post a pic next time. Sounds good.

Stiv

@Chimborazo wrote:

Hey Stiv, someone (a Chinese guy) told me there’s a real Chinese restaurant in Exton but he couldn’t remember the name. Any idea what he’s talking about? I might head up your way early March.

Not a clue Chim there’s scads of them out in these parts.

Cool! just give me a heads up.

Best,
      Stiv

Bat in Indonesia was probably the only thing I have ever taken one bite of and never ate again

~James

Stiv

@jamesintheworld wrote:

Bat in Indonesia was probably the only thing I have ever taken one bite of and never ate again

~James

The mental picture I have of that is cracking me up :lol:

Best,
      Stiv

rickshaw92
      Participant

@jamesintheworld wrote:

~James

I guess it did not taste like chicken.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.