Is the shit gonna hit the fan in Egypt again?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Is the shit gonna hit the fan in Egypt again?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

Guess it was fairly predictable that the army would weild a fair bit of influence after Mubarak’s departure… and the kids are playing protests again.

Haven’t been following it as closely as I should, but does this mean the shit really starts between protesters and military?

Egypt’s army to replace Mubarak-era governors

Egypt’s interim military government has said it will remove some provincial governors appointed by former President Hosni Mubarak.

The move is an apparent concession to protesters who want Mr Mubarak and his allies tried for corruption.

It follows an army move on protesters in Cairo’s Tahrir Square on Saturday in which at least one person was killed.

The military has said it will use force to clear the square “to ensure life goes back to normal” in Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13027762

Q

Isn’t it typical post-revolution to eat the revolutionairies? You know, getting rid of the ” trouble makers” and such.

ROB
      Keymaster

Yep – I think the military played a nice game there.

Say goodbye to the old assholes, same as the new assholes.

flipflop

Travelled from Suez to Cairo by road in March. In Suez city every road junction had an Egyptian Army APC and/or a T55 guarding it. But the soldiers were relaxed and friendly looking, and the local civvies were cutting about as if nothing was amiss.

Not sure how that is relevant to the thread question, just thought I’d share it, it was an odd situation, seen but unseen at the same time. I’m rambling, been up for the last 48hrs – just got back from a loooooooooong spell at sea, I’m still rolling in my seat

Out

ROB
      Keymaster

I hate the feeling of swaying after being on a boat for a long time. Get back on land and cannot walk straight.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Land sickness… I used to get it all the time, when I started sailing. Very weird sensation.

Q

I thought I’d lost my sea legs until we took the ferry from WA to AK. The inland passage was smooth as a prom queen’s thighs. The Gulf was a different story.

It was quite entertaining watching the wife and kids losing everything they’d eaten over the last few days.

ROB
      Keymaster

@Q wrote:

I thought I’d lost my sea legs until we took the ferry from WA to AK. The inland passage was smooth as a prom queen’s thighs. The Gulf was a different story.

It was quite entertaining watching the wife and kids losing everything they’d eaten over the last few days.

While I have never been sea sick and had plenty of opprtunity, the time I realised that I really didn’t have that problem was on a ferry where every other person was barfing so the place smelt intensely of vomit and the windows were closed (big sea) and it didn’t worry me at all (other than the unpleasant smell).

However, if I am hung over, and then go into weather on a boat, I do get a bit queasy.

Q

I need to correct my own post: We did not make the gulf crossing. We hit stretches of open water in between legs of the inland passage. Getting old, ugh.

Anyway……as an outsider looking in at my amusement, a cunt I would have been rightly so identified as. However, I will submit that having just driven from Texas, stopping at every fucking rest stop, restaurant and 3,000ft ball of twine for someone in that goddamn dually at one point or another, they’re lucky I didn’t chuck them over the side.

I did go and check on our animals when we were allowed to enter the vehicle decks. I was convinced I’d find the cat permanently affixed to the cab ceiling via her claws, and copious amounts of dog vomit all over but nay. I think those fuckers might have slept through it.

I was in Cairo last week and although smelt a lot of shit so far it wasn’t yet hitting the fan. Informed sources in Egypt though were telling me that they are down to their last 3 months foreign currency reserves, unemployment is skyrocketing and discontent with the results of the revolution are definitely in the air. I passed by Tahrir Sq which still has a semi-permanent demo going on, which remains relatively good natured but people are getting weary waiting for the positive results of the revolution and as pointed out above paraphrasing Pete Townsend, ‘Meet the new shits, same as the old shits’.
      As the conflict in Libya drags on a large proportion of the one and a half million Egyptians who were employed in Libya come home jobless and join the growing pool of unemployed and disgruntled. Seems like a powder keg is starting to smoulder and I wouldn’t be surprised if Revolution Part Two is still to come.

mikethehack
      Participant

Probably September, cos that is when the next election is due to take place or maybe October, to give things time to boil over.

flipflop

Still plenty army on the streets of Suez n that

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.