Interesting article on retail employees in Jakarta, Indonesi

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Interesting article on retail employees in Jakarta, Indonesi

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

This is an interesting article on retail employees here in Jakarta, Indonesia . I have always wondered how the salespeople feel when I buy something that costs more than they make in a year. Sort of makes me feel guilty.

These are some of the hardest working people in the world, long shifts, no benefits but always polite and nice to you. And despite their lousy pay they have pride in there job, Americans could learn a lot from them.

This really shows the huge income gap that is happening in developing countries, Rolls Royce dealerships that sell 10 500K cars a month and retail workers that are making 100 bucks a month across the street.

They mention an “in-Between” class in the article, referring to those people that are between the poor and lower class. I have never heard that term used before but it describes the people that make around 100 bucks a month quite well. Not poor, but not middle by any means. Something like the working poor in the west without the options that a 1st world government gives the poor.

For any Expats here you should keep this article in mind the next time that you go shopping.

Salesgirls Dress Their Best For The Mall
      By, Annissa S. Febrina
      Jakarta Post, City Page
      Saturday, January 13, 2007

~JITW

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.