If you could go on any trip or adventure what would you do

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble If you could go on any trip or adventure what would you do

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

If you could go on any trip or adventure what would you do?

Climbing Mount Everest would be my choice.

ROB
      Keymaster

Marco Polo’s route without any mechanised transport of course!

salamantee

About 6 weeks in Iran. That would be a worthwhile trip for me.

I would launch myself into orbit and try to spin around the sun fast enough to go back in time…….way back. Like 2003 or so.

DrDave
      Participant

Botswana safari

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

Right now I fancy something cold. So I’d opt for an overland trek to the North Pole. Either from Russia or Alert in Canada.

I have been looking at this north pole trip for a wile, not quite overland but not bad for 10 days.

http://www.iexplore.com/travel/result/47137

Jimbo
      Participant

I’d love to make a return visit to Rangoon so I could beat the living shit out of 2 military intelligence officers there I had a nasty encounter with back in 1998, then and only then would I be truly satiisfied with my life in Asia….

I’ve decided that it will have to be Africa, something were I’ll be able to have direct contact with the local population and wildlife. I read something about paid volunteering with a wildlife reserve.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

I’m beginning to think about doing a trip to Chad. Not to cover the unrest, but to go and explore the lake and the people that live off it.

That’s gotta be an interesting trip.

Where’s that volunteer work, James?

exclusive access to the North Korean Gulags….

now THAT is one hell of a pipe-deam.

Gyppo

The Moon.

A black hole..

And survive to come outrthe other end..

No wait,

the hologram deck on the starship enterprise…

yeeaaahhh..

@lightstalker wrote:

No wait,

the hologram deck on the starship enterprise…

yeeaaahhh..

Man I have about 100000 DVD’s I would upload first..hahhaha

Swift

I would sail down the Congo River

ROB
      Keymaster

I am pretty sure there was an american guy who walked the entire length of the Congo — and then write about it for Nat Geo.

RiverRat

home

Stiv

Mali, Bomako to Djenne and onward to timbukto. Followed by the pyrimids of Mero in North Sudan.

~Stiv

Kapa

I am pretty sure there was an american guy who walked the entire length of the Congo — and then write about it for Nat Geo.

Not to get confused with that american guy who tried to “pirogue”
      down the Congo….. but didn’t make it….. and still wrote abook about it.

“Facing the CONGO”- by Jeffrey Tayler.

Yasmin

First climb Denali via Cassin Ridge, then K2, then anything in Antartica, then sail the Milk Run, then ride a bicycle overland from Lisbon to SIngapore, then a bike tour of Cuba and New Zealand, then get a Paris-Dakkar BMW and do the Paris-Dakkar rally.

Paris-Dakar rally, now that sounds cool. Wonder how much that would set someone back, probably a few hundred K

Yasmin

Well if you really want to know, let me know, a friend of my roomate is getting ready for his 3rd trip out…I could ask.

ROB
      Keymaster

Please ask! :)

Yes, ask him, sounds great!

Thanks

Yasmin

Well it turns out Niles gets paid to go to the Paris-Dakkar rally as he is a motorcycle mechanic. He gets to ride some, but does not compete.

I’m going to ask them if they need an emt, translator, or cheerleader.

mp007

The Paris-Dakkar would be an amazing adventure, for sure, but The Peking to Paris Rally looks like quite the “Holy Grail” of such adventures. Though none of which is conducted at such a high rate of speed as in the Paris-Dakkar. If judged upon spped, The Gumball 3000 takes the cake.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must confess, I am about to embark upon, what I would consider my first real adventure, at least compared to my previous travels. For some time I have been attracted to the Balkans, which in comparison to many adventures I have read on this website, is, at best, mediochre. This trip will set the bar for me as a newbie, and hopefully lead to futher trips off the over-traveled grid. I consider that from the termination of my up and coming journey, I might be better equipped to make a meaningful contributiton to such posts. Though for now, my ultimate adventure lies within Kosovo and Northern Albania. We shall see what I call an adventure henceforth.

Lee Ridley
      Keymaster

@mp007 wrote:

…the Balkans, which in comparison to many adventures I have read on this website, is, at best, mediochre.

Nonsense.

mp, the use of the word “adventure” is largely subjective and there’s nothing mediocre abbout the Balkans. At least I wouldn’t describe it thus to the locals!

Just find out where there are no tourists and go there (provided you’re assured of a safe return) – Therein lies the “adventure” and, yes, we want to hear all about it when you get back.

Go well,

Lee.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.