How I handled a petty Romanian scammer …

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble How I handled a petty Romanian scammer …

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kurt
      Participant

…who was pretending to be a cop..

The train station at Bucharest is chaotic but managabe with a sense of humor. Petty scams abound. People claim to be the Police and want to see your passport, 500,000 Lei notes or whatever. I always made them question their abilities in English by just saying “I don’t understand” no matter what. This lead to them panicking and going through all the petty scams they could think of :

“give me your passport”

“passport…yes “

“give to me your passport”

“I don’t understand”

Give me..Police..your passport”

“POlice…passport? I don’t understand”

“Give me 500,000 Lei note…I check if it is counterfiet”

*reach into pocket and give him a 500 Lie coin* “500,000 Lei…is problem?”

“No, 500,000 lei …this 500”

*I point to the coin* “Five….hundred ..thousand..Lei….Is problem?”

“Buy me a beer”

“I don’t understand”

“You give me…money for beer..OK?”

“No thanks, I don’t want a beer.”

“No, beer for me”

No thank you, you are very kind”

“Want to meet girl” (makes “blowjob motion”)

“I don’t understand ….Ice cream?”

I then got up and bought some ice cream and walked away. It was fun.

That happened to me four years ago….. some guy asked me to help him buy a ticket to Kosovo, and me being too stupid at the time to realize there were no trains to Kosovo from Bucharest, accompanied him down a dark hallway to the ticket booth. Two guys appeared out of nowwhere and ‘arrested’ him, barely touching him, looking all authoratative. Then they asked for my passport. I shook my head and said ‘no’, turned around and walked away.

I was actually expecting them to chase me, but instead they just stood there dumbfounded. What you did sounds like a lot more fun, though.

I doubt those guys get a lot of luck from their scamming abilities.

rickshaw92
      Participant

He he he. Ah the money police, I had a run in (or should I say a run away) with them in Bucharest, these guys had cheesy little badges and even radios :lol: As a matter of fact, I had to pay a US$ 10 “messy passport tax” at the boarder :roll:

Kurt
      Participant

@rickshaw92 wrote:

He he he. Ah the money police, I had a run in (or should I say a run away) with them in Bucharest, these guys had cheesy little badges and even radios :lol: As a matter of fact, I had to pay a US$ 10 “messy passport tax” at the boarder :roll:

I have heard about the messy passport tax. I was fully prepared to give up to $20 in “fines” from real officials but I never needed to..

I should mention that I had the above discussion in a very public area. In Bucharest Gare Du Nord there are an amazing number of biggish spaces where no one would know you were in trouble. I would have walked away mumbling “I don’t understand” or run instead of fucking with them if I had been trapped in such a place..

Still the place was a cakewalk. If the only “Adventure” story I can get out of a whole country is an Abbott ad Costello monoloug. then I can declare that Romania is definately safe.

Jefe
      Participant

Safe? Christ, I am on the first glass of Polinka and that stuff is dangerous!!

LOL, aside from the attacks in Colombia and a half assed kidnapping/ripoff attempt, my favorite story was jumping out of a 2nd story whorehouse window onto a corrugated tin roof as the police were raiding the place.

Will the roof hold? That was the question! If it doesn’t whose room will I land in? Here they come up the stairs, LEAP, ROLL AND RUN!

TAXI! LOL

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.