EG article

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble EG article

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Interesting read Tejas on a place most know very little about. I certainly learned a thing or two. Not too sure that’s it’s on my “A” list quite yet although from what I remember you had other motives to go than a vacation. Best part of the piece was there were lots of pictures, alas though none of convicts getting tossed from cliffs :shock: Thanks again, Polo’s has had a great run of pieces lately.

Best,
      Stiv

Jefe
      Participant

Almost went there myself a few months ago. It was the “romance” of Africa that appeals to me……(right!).

I remember getting an email from a buddy who quoted some author about Africa and asked for thoughts. One buddy replied “in a word; shithole!”

Why don’t they ever find oil in nice places?

Anonymous

@Jefe wrote:

Why don’t they ever find oil in nice places?

Norway. Probably the exact opposite of Africa.. clean , safe, no corruption. But becuase of that they hire US pertroleum scientists and Geologists from Texas and ot any foriegn security people.

It sounds like EG “could” be a very wealthy place once you get rid of the tribalism ( I bet getting both tribes rich by some uncorrupt politcal entity would stop the conflict..but good luck finding that..unless the Norweigans invade) with its small land area and small population and vast oil reserves.

A combination of oil money paying peace corp type educators and Jefe type security folks with some infrastructure by Bechtel plus a few years of mosquito control it sounds like the place has potential…but we all know shitholes with potential are a dime -a-dozen too.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.