Dubai

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Dubai

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

It’s clear that Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, the current Sheik of Dubai, plans to recreate his city as the tourist and cosmopolitan hot spot of the Middle East. Over the last decade, he has reshaped not only the culture but the geography of his country. Gone is the straight, and boring, coastline of yesterday; in is the megaconstruction of artfully-carved beaches and islands that have increased the beachfront of Dubai by more than tenfold.

Dubai is no longer the backward-looking Arabic city of the 80s. Instead, it is a very modern, very enjoyable place to visit. Most of the population are expatriates from all over the world; though the primary language is Arabic, you’ll hear everything from English to Tagalog spoken.

The three things you should not miss if you go to Dubai are the gold sukh, the Mall of the Emirates, and the Burj al-Arab hotel with its sail-shaped structure that has become an international symbol of Dubai. At the sukh and the Mall, you can find remarkable prices on items that, elsewhere in the world, would be quite expensive; and you can also find the world’s largest indoor ski slope in the Mall of the Emirates, completed just recently.

Besides shopping, Dubai has the most exciting nightlife of any Middle Eastern City. Though the bars close by 3 am, there are hundreds of excellent bars and nightclubs catering to the rich and famous, the tens of thousands of expatriate workers, and other visitors to the city. Dubai today is exciting; tomorrow, it’s likely to surpass many of the world’s first cities in worldliness and sophistication.

Hahaha…I used an editor first so you can’t make fun of my writing

peterc

Lived in Dubai for 5 years. I agree it is an exciting city. Buzzing nightlife. Great potential, and dynamism… Shk Mohammed runs is well. I wrote a story of how we built a city in Dubai for the humanitarians: From sand to a city

But you should also check out the mountains. Drive 1 hour outside of Dubai and you have the most wonderful deserted mountains. Spent many a day and night camping there!

Peter

crotalus01

Next time I go to Afghanistan I am gonna go through the Emirates just so I can go skydiving in Dubai, hopefully it will be later this year…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.