Culinary delights & the art of schlepp

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Culinary delights & the art of schlepp

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      NGrubeck

Inspired by the Herald Tribune article (http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/10/opinion/rschlep.html) I was wondering whether the scenario of lugging exotic foods half-way around the globe just to satisfy some bizarre cravings sounds familiar to anyone else? I, certainly, am prone to stuff and overstuff my bags with local goodies and have probably driven SRR out of his mind with my regular highly specific shopping demands:

Be it Swiss chocolate that NEEDS to be imported to Eastern Congo, Nigerian limes & pineapples imported (well, smuggled I guess) back to the UK or simply Carribean rum or Hungarian goose-liver – some things are just essential souvenirs. And just because some local officials get all worked up about Foot & Mouth, BSE or alcohol taxes sure as hell shouldn’t prevent us from enjoying real Italian parma ham or Canadian ice wines brought back from a trip.

Anonymous

Hell, after 6 months in Chile I’d just go for some cheap and easily available regular stuff like mint sauce and hot english mustard. Even vegemite! Then again, 1 and a half weeks to go and no more damn Santiago.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.