Are These Stories Setting Off Anyone Else’s Spidey Sense?

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Are These Stories Setting Off Anyone Else’s Spidey Sense?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      ROB
      Keymaster

They seem eerily familiar:

The girl who killed for Gaddafi, Nisreen Mansour al Forgani recruited to kill in Libyan militia

* By Richard Pendlebury and Vanessa Allen
      * August 30, 2011 9:46AM
      * 2 comments

* Increase Text Size
      * Decrease Text Size
      * Print
      * Email
      o Add to Digg
      o Add to del.icio.us
      o Add to Facebook
      o Add to Kwoff
      o Add to Myspace
      o Add to Newsvine
      o What are these?

al Forgani

Nisreen Mansour al Forgani, centre, with fellow Gaddafi female militia members. She is now under armed rebel guard in a Tripoli hospital. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

* “Her eyes were beautiful but completely blank”
      * Says she was forced to kill unarmed men
      * Claims she was sexually abused by militia

A TEENAGER lies on a hospital bed awaiting her fate after it emerged that she executed 11 Libyan rebels.

Libyan newscaster waves gun on TV
      Watch
      Close

Pro-Gaddafi newscaster Hala Misrati brandishes a gun on Libyan TV station Al-Libiyah, vowing to defend Libya

news.com.au30 August 2011
      Your video will play following this advertisement
      Play
      0:00 / 1:04
      Scrubber
      mute
      Scrubber
      Fullscreen

Pro-Gaddafi newscaster Hala Misrati brandishes a gun on Libyan TV station Al-Libiyah, vowing to defend Libya

30 August 2011news.com.au
      Watch More Video
      Share: Libyan newscaster waves gun on TV

* Link
      * Embed

Post to Site

* Facebook
      * Twitter
      * Myspace
      * Delicious
      * Favorites
      * Google
      * Digg
      * StumbleUpon
      * More services

Email
      Email To:
      Your Email:
      URL Link
      Embed Code
      return to video

Replay: Libyan newscaster waves gun on TV

Share this video
      Video Suggestions:
      First you see her large brown eyes and rosebud lips, framed by a pink headscarf. Then you notice that her bruised feet are secured by manacles to the foot of her bed.

Nisreen Mansour al Forgani is a pretty 19-year-old. She was also a multiple killer for Libyan dictator Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

Yesterday, in a heavily guarded room at the Matiga military hospital in Tripoli, she admitted she had executed as many as 11 suspected rebel prisoners in the days leading up to the fall of the Libyan capital last week. Shot at point-blank range, in cold blood.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
      make your own news service on igoogle

“I killed the first one, then they would bring another one up to the room,” Nisreen says. “He would see the body on the floor and look shocked. Then I would shoot him too. I did it from about a metre away.”

One of thousands of girls and young women recruited by Col Gaddafi’s all-female militias, Nisreen is now a prisoner of the rebels and in fear of her life. Yet, despite her killings, it is impossible not to feel pity for her.

news
      news
      19-year-old Nisreen Mansour Al Forgani has detailed her ordeals in the Libyan Peoples Guard, where she was repeatedly raped and forced under threat of death to carry out executions. She is being kept under armed guard, for her own protection, and tied to a hospital bed where she is recovering from a second storey fall while escaping her Gaddafi controllers. Picture: Jamie Wiseman / Daily Mail / Solo Syndication
      Source: Supplied

Nisreen claims – and her doctors and even some of the rebel fighters believe her – that she had to shoot under great duress. She also says that she was sexually abused by senior military figures.

“I told them (the rebels) what I did,” she says. “They are angry. I do not know what will happen to me now.”

So how did this slight young woman, who used to live with her mother in Tripoli and enjoy dance music, come to have so much blood on her hands?

Nisreen says that her family were not supporters of the Gaddafi regime, although that is hard to verify at this stage in post-liberation Tripoli.

Her parents split up when she was a child, and Nisreen did not like her father’s new wife so she went to live with her mother.

One of her mother’s friends, a woman called Fatma al Dreby, was the leader of the female branch of Col Gaddafi’s Popular Guards militia – and this, it seems, was the fateful factor.

Last year, Nisreen left college intending to look after her mother, who was sick with cancer.

Instead, Fatma recruited her for the Popular Guards.

The family protested, but Fatma would not be swayed. Nisreen was young and pretty – just the type they wanted.

“There were about 1000 girls from all over Libya,” Nisreen recalls of their training camp in Tripoli.

The recruits were instructed in the use of firearms, and Nisreen was trained as a sniper.

Colonel Gaddafi
      Colonel Gaddafi
      RAPE CLAIMS: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and a female bodyguard. Picture: AP
      Source: AP

By the start of the uprising in February, she was housed by the militia in a mobile home near Tripoli airport. Her duties mainly involved manning checkpoints around the city.

Her unit was based at the HQ of 77 Brigade, next door to Col Gaddafi’s Bab Al-Azizya residential complex, but Nisreen says she saw the dictator only once.

Fatma was a zealous supporter of the regime, says Nisreen. “She told me that if my mother said something against Gaddafi, that I should immediately kill her,” she says. “If I said anything about the leader that she did not like, I would be beaten and locked in my room. She also told us that if the rebels came, they would rape us.”

It was a shameless piece of manipulation from the militia leader who, says Nisreen, pimped her female recruits for the sexual gratification of her senior male colleagues.

“Fatma had an office at the 77 Brigade base and there was a room with a bed next door. One day, she summoned me and put me in that room by myself,” she says.

Mansour Dau, who was the commander of 77 Brigade, then came in and shut the door. He raped her.

“After it was over, Fatma told me not to tell anyone, not even my parents,” says Nisreen. “Every time Mansour came to the HQ, he was given another girl by Fatma. She was given presents in return.”

It happened to many girls she knew. And as the Gaddafi regime began to crumble, the abuses increased.

The spiral of horror gathered pace. There is a saying in Libya: “Cut my throat but do not get a girl to shoot me in the back.” One suspects that the deployment of Nisreen as an executioner of “traitors” was meant as a final insult to the condemned.

Nisreen explains that she was taken to a building in the Bosleem district of Tripoli, put in a room and armed with an AK-47 rifle. There, a black woman soldier in a blue uniform kept guard and prevented her from escaping.

“The rebel prisoners were tied up and kept under a tree outside,” she says. “Then, one by one, they were brought up to the room. There were three Gaddafi volunteers with guns also in the room.

“They told me that if I didn’t kill the prisoners, then they would kill me.”

She begins to cry. “Some of the prisoners looked like they had already been beaten,” she says. “Others were beaten up in front of me in the room. They did not speak. I do not remember their faces … most of them were about the same age as me.”

She wipes her eyes and stares at a weeping wound on her elbow. “I tried not to kill them … I turned and shot without looking. But if I hesitated, one of the soldiers would flick off the safety catch of his own rifle and point it at me. I killed 10, perhaps 11, over three days,” she says, slowly and almost disbelievingly, counting the murders on her fingers.

“I don’t know what they had done.” She wails: “I never harmed anyone before the uprising began. I used to have a normal life.”

Libya Gaddafi
      Libya Gaddafi
      A Libyan rebel stands on a picture of the country’s leader Muammar Gaddafi in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. Picture: AFP
      Source: AFP

Nisreen eventually escaped by jumping from the window of the second-floor room where she carried out the killings. Despite being injured in the fall and then hit by a reversing pick-up truck, she managed to limp out of the compound.

“I was found by some anti-Gaddafi people who took me to a mosque where I was given water,” she says. “Then I was brought here.”

Two fighters are on guard outside her door at the hospital. “We are here to protect her as much as to prevent her escaping,” one says.

The scene has become an unpleasant freak show.

The rebel fighter shrugs with disgust.

“There were many girls who did things like this,” he says.

Eventually Nisreen’s stepmother and brother turn up. But they stay only briefly – and do not seem surprised to see the armed guard on the teenager’s door.

Nisreen is being looked after by Dr Rabia Gajum, a Libyan child psychologist who has volunteered to work at the Matiga hospital.

She voices immense sympathy for the teenager.

“Nisreen is a victim too, she says.

How much Nisreen has blurred her account through shame, fear or a desire to explain her actions, she appears to personify the corruption and brutalisation Libya has experienced under Gaddafi.

Her eyes were beautiful but completely blank, whether from shock, painkillers or both. But at least she is alive.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/gaddafis-girl-killer/story-e6frfkyi-1226125258998#ixzz1WU1dbFoX

Penta2
      Participant

Assuming “spidey sense” = bullshit detector, yes.
      Lots of evidence emerging of straightforward massacres, though, especially, apparently, by Khamis’s men.

On the other hand, the reports of the mistreatment and murders of black Libyans by rebels are not an encouraging sign for the future.
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/30/libya-spectacular-revolution-disgraced-racism

ROB
      Keymaster

Bullshit yes, but more of the “let’s make this story fit a predefined narrative of war and sell it as real.”

It has to involve a woman. It has to involve her murky past. It has to involve rape. It has to involve some connection to a murky dictator. It has to involve apparent reformation. It has to involve perceived injustice both from and against her.

Throw them together in any order you like and it seems to be standard fodder for human interest stories at the height of a war.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.