Amman

Home Forums Polo’s Rabble Amman

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Amman is over 3000 years old, but at first glance you’d never know it. The white and modern buildings of the city gleam in daylight, and at night they glitter with a thousand lights; interspersed with modern homes and high rises are beautiful ancient ruins, kebab stalls scented with roasted meat, and cafes that serve rich Arabian coffee in the afternoon and early evenings.

Today, Amman is a modern metropolis which over two million people call home. And like all modern metropolises, Amman is a city in which anything you want to do is a possibility. Are you looking for unique non-touristy souvenirs? Check out the Jordanian souqs and art galleries through the town, where you can buy sculptures, textiles, olive wood carvings, handmade Jordanian daggers, and most significantly remarkable jewelry. A stroll through its safe and friendly streets will reveal its charms: Arabic coffee, flaky pastries, locals playing backgammon or gossiping.

And at night, the city is transformed. Amman is growing increasingly cosmopolitan and multicultural in flavor, with restaurants and nightlife to suit everyone’s tastes. It’s hard to find any other area in the region with the same variety of entertainment. Whether you prefer to enjoy traditional Arabic music or something more reminiscent of home, you’ll find it in Amman. British and Irish pubs and German bierkellers have sprung up throughout the city, along with many international nightclubs. Most of the nightlife is in the downtown section, near the tourist hotels, so it should be convenient for anything you may want.

Hahaha…I used an editor first so you can’t make fun of my writing

flipflop

I stayed at the The Regency Palace Hotel in Amman for two nights in ’04. Great place with a class bar at the top of the tower.

Amman is pretty cool and a beautfiful old city, nice totty knocking about too

Cheers

Thanks guys. I was in Amman last week and was very impressed. Nice to be in a Muslim city where I could get a beer openly without feeling like I was transgressing a divine law. I stayed at the Hisham Hotel on Jabal Amman which is a cosy 3 star hotel (with an ‘English pub’ attached) although the beer was only Amstel…well can’t complain. This website gives all the details you need to check out the facilities and make a booking:

http://www.1stjordan.net/hishamhotel/index.html

Although I was attending a seminar at the Marriot I did get out to see the Roman ruins on the Citadel and to wander in the main souk. Grabbed a taxi for 7JDs an hour (about £5) which I thought quite reasonable. The driver was friendly and informative and even stopped in the street to treat me to a coffee from a street vendor. Flew from and back to Heathrow on Royal Jordanian which was basic but OK. Amman International airport though has to be one of the easiest airports I have traversed in recent months in terms of speed and ease of check in and speed through security. Heathrow is such a bloody nightmare these days in comparison to just about anywhere.

Very interesting friendly city.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.