Rio De Janeiro – How The Other Half Live

rocinhathumb.jpgFew cities are as capable of firing up the imagination as Rio de Janeiro. Set to a beautiful backdrop of “morros” (a Portuguese word for the lush hills surrounding the city), and some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet

Rio has always been associated with samba, sex and surf. However, this stereotype hides the poverty and wealth disparity so endemic to the city. Approximately 20 to 25 % of the 13 million that live in Rio live in what are termed “favelas”, hillside slums unique to Rio. Their existence is due to several factors: the fact that the Portuguese crown banned building on the morros in order to ensure beautiful views of the mountains; the Canudos rebellion of the 19th century, which eventually brought numerous homeless soldiers to Rio; and the influx of migrants throughout the 20th century to Rio from Brazil’s impoverished North-East.

In the past few years several companies have sprung up, which give tours of the favelas, with the favelas Vidigal and Rocinha (the two largest in Rio, and set on two sides of the same morro) being the most popular. An opportunity arose for me to accompany one of these tours and I considered the proposition with a mix of curiosity and caution. Would this be some sort of “poor people safari” ? i.e. – A group of 1st Worlders walking through a slum as danger tourists with cameras at the ready – insulated from both the people and the environment ? At the end of the day my curiosity eventually got the best of whatever reservations I had and I decided to go see Rocinha first-hand – the largest slum in Latin America, and by some estimations, the 2nd largest slum in the world (there is only one other, in Indonesia, that is thought to be larger).

rochina1.jpg

My reservations were also eased somewhat by the fact we had small group. There would be five of us in total including our guide, Danielle. The day began with Danielle explaining to us some of the dangers involved in visiting the local favelas. Rocinha is one of the safer favelas to visit, but for the time being, it’s firmly under the grip of one of the three main drug gangs of Rio. Amigo dos amigos, or “friends of friends”, is the gang that controls Rocinha; the other two that operate around Rio de Janeiro are the Comando Vermelho – i.e. “Red Command”; and the Terceiro Comando or “Third Command”. At times, if one of the other gangs tries to invade or take control of the favela, pitched gun-battles can erupt that can, and often do, kill innocent bystanders. In addition, if the police need to enter the favela for any reason (as they did in May, 2006 when a cache of army weapons were stolen and hidden in the favela), gun-battles also occur between the gang members and the police – again with innocent victims often being caught in the cross-fire.

rochinha5.jpg

The forecast for our visit was calm however, the only thing we were really warned against was taking pictures of the child soldiers who generally act as look-outs and scouts for the gangs. If they saw us taking pictures of them they would not hesitate to take our cameras away, as had happened to several groups of tourists who did not heed this advice. After being instructed in the risks we were taking (and signing a liability form), we made our way from the rich enclaves of Copacabana and Ipanema to the entrance of Rocinha. The five of us arrived and got some local motor-taxis to take us up the main road in Rocinha, to the top of the morro that it’s located on. After paying them each a dollar we proceeded to walk our way back down to the bottom, occasionally stopping to learn about the community.

rocinha6.jpg

At first glance it was similar to any other slum I’d been to: squalid, comprised of ramshackle buildings and lacking in many of the public services that we in the west take for granted. Upon closer inspection, however, I began to notice a lack of the feeling of menace or threat I’ve experienced in other slums in the world as well as pervasive and contagious cheerfulness.

This was due to both the beauty of the natural surroundings (unusual for a slum in any part of the world) but more so to the friendliness of the people of Rocinha. At no point did I feel as though as I was on a “poor people safari”, rather we were welcomed and included as part of the community. Numerous residents would wave, smile at our presence or call out “Ola” to our group. Often children, less reserved and inhibited than their parents, would run up and watch us or try to interact with us. It’s true some of them were lured by the prospect of money, but they would work hard in order to get it, usually by a capoeira performance or perhaps a football juggling demonstration. One young girl, no more than 5 years of age, when appraised of our imminent arrival to her doorstep, quickly changed into her best dress and got her mother to fix up her hair. She thought we were magazine photographers and were going to make her famous!

rocinha12.jpg

An event at the hostel I was staying there was a demonstration of this sense of community within the favelas: One of the workers there found a wad of cash amounting to about $200USD or so. Instead of pocketing the money, she and her family decided to use much of it to buy another family in the favela some much needed food and necessities, as they had been out of work for several months. In many ways the favela operates like a family, both figuratively and literally – many of the residents are related, and most of the children often have several half-siblings.

rocinha16.jpg

Another thing that struck me during our descent back to “civilization” was just how creative people are in conditions such as these and how often communities like these function better than the ones overseen by the often corrupt and inept governments in impoverished countries. As it isn’t really part of the city (although that is starting to change, it has now been given special neighbourhood status), it’s off the grid. In order to deal with a lack of electricity people simply hook up their own cables to whatever wires that do exist and everyone seems to get by. Although some houses have plumbing, many do not. The ones that don’t deal with it by the use of large, blue water tubs on the roof, a simple and effective solution. When it comes to security in the favela the drug lords keep a tight rein on crime. Any theft, rape, or the like, is dealt with severely by their own form of vigilante justice. In many ways it is much safer to walk the streets of a favela (provided, of course that stability and order are being maintained by the current gang in control and there are no challenges to that rule) than the developed parts of Rio de Janeiro.

rocinha17.jpg

After finally making it back to the bottom of the hill, we left Rocinha and I looked back with a mix of sadness and hope. Like most communities, Rocinha does have it’s fair share of problems. However, there are also a lot of positive things going on, and a multitude of creative solutions to living in a place where many lack access to potable water, electricity and the so-called “law and order” of the rest of Rio de Janeiro. These solutions are a testament to the community of Rocinha, the resourcefulness and courage of its people and how those traditionally marginalized on the edge of society find ways to survive, and even thrive. As we left Rocinha I wondered if people would say hello while walking the streets of Copacabana, or if neighbours would help each other during times of financial crisis. Unfortunately my experiences in Copacabana proved otherwise.

rocinha25.jpg

Author and Photographer – Chris Wirth.

26 comments for “Rio De Janeiro – How The Other Half Live

1. Rob
    November 5, 2006 at 9:53 am

Fantastic!

Anyone seen “Favella Rising”?

2. November 5, 2006 at 11:42 am

Thanks for the piece Chris, a very good one indeed!

Nope, I haven´t seen that one but I´ll add it to my “wish list” right now!

3. Andrea
    November 6, 2006 at 8:07 am

Chris, great article! Awesome pics. I can definitely draw many parallels between the favelas in Rio to the shantytowns in Casablanca.

4. Ana Luiza
    November 9, 2006 at 12:27 am

Parabéns Chis!! Muito bom seu artigo sobre o Rio de Janeiro, vc é realmente muito talentoso!!

5. frank
    November 14, 2006 at 4:35 pm

chris. you rock my world. very good article. now write your book.

6. Higgins
    November 23, 2006 at 3:25 am

Nice work Wirth! It is really well written.

7. luke
    December 20, 2006 at 8:22 pm

interesting and well written

8. carole
    December 28, 2006 at 11:48 pm

Love it!! Makes one envious as well as ashamed!
    The Love of these people with so little material
    necessities,know the fruits of real riches.

9. dassah
    January 24, 2007 at 11:52 am

ABSOLUTELY CRAP! I HATED IT. RUBBISH PIECE.

10. Phoebe
    January 24, 2007 at 6:33 pm

wow, realy helped with my homework

11. February 9, 2007 at 7:47 am

parabens..valeu pela historia da minha comunidade da Rocinha..
    thank you for make the nice story of Rocinha my home.

rocinhajj@yahoo.com.br

12. Chris M
    February 12, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Fantastic…

13. Lennny
    February 16, 2007 at 11:54 am

Excelent article!

I live in Brazil now and I think you got it just the way it really is. I couldn´t describe it in better words than you did.

Thanks a lot

14. Faith
    March 21, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Thank you so much. I have never been to a favela but often think of doing so. My fear dissapated a little after I read your article and I now look forward to going to or even living in a favela, if I ever get the opportunity. Thanks again

15. Daniela
    April 4, 2007 at 5:43 pm

Favela should be legalized,and sometimes I wonder if drug trade also is legalized it may not affected these kids anymore instead create a jobs, and security??

16. April 12, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Great article!

17. April 14, 2007 at 8:59 am

Faith..I am from Rocinha. If you have interest of come visit Rocinha, you can send for me e-mail..

rocinhajj@yahoo.com.br

18. Sophie Harrington
    April 16, 2007 at 1:52 am

Very nice and helped me with my homework. I found it very interesting. Thanks x

19. Sue
    April 16, 2007 at 11:20 pm

Great article! I lived in Rio for one year and had a double life between boyfirend and friends who were favella dwellers and my life teaching english to Rio’s executives…
    You articulated very well ths spirit of the cariocas in the face of great difficulties.

20. Fred
    April 19, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Otimo Chris. Terrific article. I have a travel company and I often bring groups to Rio and they always ask about the favelas. Now I will visit them first.

21. April 20, 2007 at 10:46 am

I just visited the Rocinha favela myself and it’s massive. Folks were cool and the guide had been taking folks there for a while.

There was only a few places where it was highly recommended that photos not be taken and in all honesty the voyeuristic cad vibe kind of made that a nonstarter.

Once on the outskirts then the Police militare had a prescence and they were armed heavily.

Best,
    Stiv

22. April 22, 2007 at 1:55 pm

interesting article. i recently visited a much smaller place like that bahia. hopefully we will be able to help these people, it is my mission. the need opportunities.

23. natasha
    November 19, 2007 at 7:12 pm

i feel sad bout the ppl livin in favelasT_Tbut this is n interestin article n i luv it*^_^*this article helped me a lot doin my geography homework bout the ppl livin in favelas of Rio!!!!!*^_^*

24. Cory
    October 15, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I am a few years late in discovering this article, but loved every word of it. I had a chance to visit Rio this year and will be going back for Carnival next year.

I taught in a school located in a Favela for two weeks and found the people some of the friendliest and most sincere I have ever encountered. The more the travel, the more I realize how much us Westerners take for granted in life. Rio will always hold a special place in me.

25. alex
    February 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I had to spend a few months in Rio for academic purposes, and decided to live in the pavão-pavãozinho favela in january-february 08. Its right by posto 8 in copacabana. Its pretty safe when people get to know you. Knowing a bit of portuguese is of course essential for this kind of feats. I think that even as a tourist you could climb one of these smaller favelas by yourself with a little self-confidence and get away with it, and it should be much more interesting than an “organized tour”.

26. June 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Fantastic!! A visit to Rocinha was a goal of mine when I visited several weeks ago, probably for many of the same reasons it was for you. Your article was a fantastic read and to be honest, told me what I already expected. Which is great. Thanks for that. Rio was one of the most unique places I have ever had the chance to visit.

P.S. Glad I didn’t make it to Copacabana now. Ha ha ha!!